29 A New Power

I stand over a cocoon-wrapped Cal in the same cave chamber that I woke up in the first time I visited the Frost Elve's domain. "Kidnapped" and "visited" are synonymous in this case.

His eyes are closed, but some of his color has returned to his face. The rest of his body is wrapped in warm healing furs. I look to Igo standing at the door. He summons me with a nod, telling me to let him rest. I give my giant a soft pet on his beard and join my periwinkle pal in the hallway.

"He will be okay," Igo says.

It is hard to believe. Cal is so far gone.

I change the subject. "How is Arkeeni?"

Igo looks away.

"Not well. His life force leaks away a bit each day. Nothing we elves have done seems to help. I think our only hope is Cal."

My heart feels like it is buried alive. The men we love are drifting away from us, and there is nothing we can do about it.

I turn and take Igo into a warm hug. His belly presses against me as I give him a gentle kiss on his lips.

"We will figure this out," I reassure him.

I say it for both of us.

"Can I see Akeeni?"

He takes my hand and we walk silently down the cold crystal hallway. We pass two guards and enter two massive doors. It is King Akeeni's sleep chamber. His motionless, nude body lies on a circular bed covered with leathers, furs, and hides. An icy glow floats around him.

I reach out to put my hand on his chest. I have to feel his heartbeat. I need proof that he is not lost.

"That isn't going to work. The force field—"

My hands pass right through the protective bubble with ease.

"Oh. That isn't supposed to happen," Igo finishes. "I will be right back."

Akeeni's lover leaves the room, and I am alone with the king. My hands feel the faint tha-thum under his purple skin. His breaths come shallow and far between. I let out a deep breath as if it would somehow help him.

"You're still with us," I whisper.

Akeeni lets out a deep grunt. No other movement or sounds. Just a grumble acknowledging I speak the truth.

"Did you see that?" It is Igo at the foot of the bed, talking to another elf with him.

Igo's silver fox friend has a long white beard and leans against a wooden staff. His draping robe and chain of potion bottles hanging from a leather sash give me the impression that he is the local medicine man.

"Ryan, how did you get him to make that sound?" Igo asks.

I shrug. "I just put my hands on his heart."

I repeat the action and this time there is a sudden intake of air through Akeeni's nostrils. His pecs rise and fall with deep, effective breaths.

"I have tried everything," Igo says.

The elder elf takes a vile of white, soupy liquid from his tool belt. He pours some on Akeeni's chest.

"Rub that around, boy," he orders.

I do as I am told. I run my hands all over his royal chest. The king lets out a quiet moan.

"More," the medicine man says. "Massage him."

"Vlex, how..." Igo says to the witch doctor.

"I feel it within him, Igo. There is something special about this human."