Chapter 2

"Good Morning," The voice of James jolted Emily back to reality.

"Good Morning," She welcomed him with an awkward smile.

"You are early today." He observed this as he sat down at his desk, which was across from hers.

"I just came a few minutes back. It is not that early." Emily puts an attempt to avoid looking at him, which he noticed.

James got up and walked over to her. While she sat in her chair, he grabbed the support of her desk, facing her. He called her name to gain her attention, "Emily."

"Yeah?" She asked, her gaze lingering on him.

"Is it about the kiss?" He asked her coming straight to the point. With Emily, he never felt the need to beat around the bush. She is a straight-forward person and he likes that he can be the same with her.

She, however, had a stunned expression on her face because she hadn't expected James to figure it out so quickly. She tried to deny it, but James was too smart to believe her. "Noooo."

"Seriously, Emily? Are you having second thoughts about our plan? It's all right if you are. I understand." James tried to comfort her. But he was hoping that they would go ahead with their initial plan.

"Are you having second thoughts?" Instead of replying, she asked him the same question.

"No. I am not. However, this isn't about me; it's about you. So, tell me honestly. Are you sure you are comfortable with this plan? If you are not, it won't be easy to persuade Fiona's and Justin's grandma. We'd have to appear a little more intimate to get them to see us as a couple." James explained it to her with transparency.

He didn't want Emily to go ahead with their plan if she didn't want to. He wants her to feel secured and comfortable.

"I am sure. And anyway, you wouldn't live to see another day if you tried to pull something on me." Emily tried to conceal her racing heart.

She was well aware that James was a decent guy. Even after their ridiculous idea and that incredible kiss, somewhere in her heart, she knew that he would not go beyond his bounds unless she permits him to.

They'd been working together for a little over a year now, and he had not crossed any of his boundaries yet. Sure, he enjoys annoying her whenever the opportunity presents itself, but he has never offended her in any way whatsoever.

Not even inadvertently.

"Is it now?" James drew his arms across his chest and lifted his brows. He was relieved that Emily had returned to her usual self.

James was ready to walk away from his desk when she stopped him.

"There is something you need to know about me in order for our plan to work. Cecelia Grams would never be convinced if she discovered that you were unaware of a critical detail about my life."

"What do you mean?" James gave her a puzzled look.

"You are already aware that Bob is my step-father, and perhaps you may have a hunch that my biological father........" But James stopped her.

"No, Emily. Don't!" James instantly stopped her from saying anything further.

"What? Why?" She was confused. If it had been anyone else, they would have jumped at this opportunity

"I don't want you to tell me about yourself because of our pretend relationship. I want you to tell me because you want to, and I will be absolutely honest with you. I am definitely curious about that part of your life, but I want you to share it with me because you genuinely want to." James told her with full honesty.