Chapter 8

Emily woke at seven o'clock in the morning. She was disappointed not to find James beside her and more surprised at the fact that she could sleep with him on his bed, in his arms, the entire night.

She stretched her legs as she awoke. She went to the bathroom to freshen up once she was stable enough to stand. Since it wasn't attached to the room like hers, so she had to leave their bedroom and walk toward the living room. She was baffled to see James in the kitchen, making breakfast.

He was wholly absorbed in his work, so she took a quiet step away from the kitchen and toward the bathroom to brush her teeth.

She joined him in the kitchen once she finished her business there. He hadn't taken a bath yet because he was still dressed in his tracks and t-shirt from the night before, yet he looked fresh.

"Good Morning." He greeted with a smile her as soon as he saw her.

"Good Morning." She greeted him back.

"How did you sleep?" He asked her.

"Better than I had imagined."

He acknowledged her response with a nod. Even though it was her first time staying with him, everything seemed normal. They didn't feel like indulging themselves in a forceful conversation.

Instead, they were both quietly eating the eggs and toast that James had prepared. While Emily was scrolling through her phone's feeds, James was busy reading the newspaper.

She had never envisioned him as a newspaper type of a man in her life. From where she was looking at him, he was soaking in every word printed on that sheet like there was no tomorrow.

He was entirely immersed in it.

After getting ready, they both went to the office to resume their work.

It felt weirdly normal.

Even though they were both experiencing this phase for the first time with each other, it seemed like a typical routine that they could picture themselves becoming accustomed to.

James and Emily initially anticipated that their strange relationship, along with the fact that they were living together, would make things awkward, but it did not.

Instead, it was the complete opposite.

They did, however, have a dinner invitation from Jake today around seven o'clock.

Emily's brother, Jake, had riveted his gaze on James as he sat anxiously on the couch. He was staring hard with such intensity that it made James squirm in discomfort.

Jake's arm was folded, and he was watching his every move like a hawk. Perhaps, James was a fool to believe that families adored him.

"Umm." James was at a loss for words in front of Emily's brother.

She wasn't joking when she said that her brother is over-protective. He was way over his head when he assumed that he would be in a good place with her brother since he was not actually dating his sister. Because, presently, he was feeling nervous.

His meal with Emily the night before was great. Later, she did tell him that in order for their plan to work, Jake would have to be a part of it. But he didn't expect her to phone her brother right away.

Even though he boasted about how much parents adore him, meeting them is not the same as meeting Jake.

He didn't want to make a negative first impression.

He first met Emily's father, Bob, as Justin and Fiona's friend and Emily's annoying colleague, but now he's meeting Jake as Emily's pretend lover.

Certainly not a good first impression and not a prominent start to his delusional love story.