Chapter 6

For James and Emily, things were moving at a faster pace than they had imagined. Both were well aware that, even though Emily mistakenly, and out of panic, told Cecelia Grams that they were living together, they didn't actually have to move in. But, aside from Emily's error, it was more convenient in light of the recent hazard.

Moreover, their unpredictable grams can stop by anytime out of the blue to catch them red-handed.

However, every disc has two sides.

And the other, brighter side for them was their innate longing to be close to each other, which James had grown to accept. On the other hand, Emily was still coming to grips with the reality that she was even mildly attracted to James.

She was trying much too hard to keep it platonic, but her heart had other ideas. She doesn't usually get nervous easily, but today was different. Her tummy was churning with butterflies. As decided, Emily had most of her belongings shifted and placed in separate boxes in the living room. Mason had stepped in to assist them. Despite James' insistence that Mason joins them for supper, he had to leave.

Emily took a thorough look at James' apartment after Mason had left.

"It is nothing special." He nervously scratched his neck.

She once again took a subtle around his apartment, and true to his words, his home was not luxurious.

It was normal.

It was way too ordinary, but it felt cozy and very homely, especially for a bachelor guy. A regular-sized television, a couch in front of it, and two reclining chairs, one on each side of the sofa. A bean bag was also strewn about beside the recliner. In one corner of his room, he had a stack of books and magazines. The living room's walls were basic, but there were a few photo frames on them.

His apartment had an open kitchen concept, which was just a few steps away from his couch. Overall, his home is small, pleasant, and very inviting.

James could easily afford a larger home with his income, yet he prefers to stay in this one.

"I like it." She told him, simply adoring his home with her eyes.

"Really?"

Emily could have made a compelling case for not living here or complaining because his house was smaller than hers. But she did not.

"Yeah, I am surprised because if it had been anyone else, that person would have moved to a much larger space." Emily voiced out her thoughts.

"I know. But I never felt the need to relocate. Initially, when Justin and I were starting out, we used to stay here on rent. We came across this place during our second year of university. We no longer wanted to live in the dorms, and luckily, this apartment was put up for rent.

Moreover, the location is safe, the apartment is great, and the rent was pretty affordable. But then, after a few years, Justin moved out, which was fair because it was about time we learned to survive on our own and be more independent. The apartment had to be sold subsequently because the owner needed the money. Fortunately, I had enough money saved up at the time, and with the help of the loan, I was able to purchase this property. Dad did pitch in a few percent so that I didn't have to take a large sum from the bank, but I made a promise to myself that I would repay every dime to him, which I did eventually. I know it may not be that big of a thing I am making it out to be, but I don't know. This place is special and close to my heart." James tried to explain the reason to Emily.

Others may perceive it as a small thing. To them, this house and the story behind it may seem nothing unusual, and they may be right to some extent. But this place holds a special place in his heart, even though he knew that he would have to leave this place one day.