Chapter 21

"I can't believe we are actually doing this," James said while fixing his black tie.

"Oh, come on! Don't be such a spoiled sport. This was the very reason we came here for, didn't we?" Emily said while applying eyeliner to her eyes.

James can really be a cry baby when someone makes him do things against his will. But it was more adorable than annoying.

"No, we came here to meet my folks." He argued, but they both knew it wasn't the complete truth.

Somewhere deep down in his heart, he had a secret desire to return to his school and show off a little of his accomplished life, especially now, with Emily beside him, holding his hands.

"It was this reunion that made you even think about coming here in the first place." Emily pointed out the fact, which he couldn't deny even if he wanted to because it was the truth.

"Not to mention that you didn't want to deal with your father again," James smirked, bringing her selfish reason into the picture.

He was now attempting to fix his hair for the umpteenth time. Since Emily had taken over his dresser, he had to use the small mirror in his bathroom while keeping the door open.

"Yes, I hate to admit it, but I am guilty as charged," Emily said. She was not offended, as it was the truth, and James bought it up as a joke. She was very well aware of that.

James responded with a chuckle and came out of the bathroom. It would be an understatement to say that he was transfixed.

Emily looked stunning.

She was already the most beautiful girl he had ever met, but she looked out of this world on occasions like today.

Emily turned to face James as she felt his eyes on her. She was completely ready now. But James was looking at her differently. She couldn't point with her finger as to what it was, but his gaze on her was very intense, which made her feel nervous, like butterflies in her stomach.

"Is there something wrong? Do I look bad or overdressed?" She asked him anxiously. She was hoping she hadn't overdone it.

"No. Absolutely not. In fact, you are looking absolutely amazing. You look just about perfect." James said honestly.

"Really? Thank you very much, James. But this is the same dress I wore during our office party. Nothing out of the ordinary." Emily said with a blush.

It was true, though, because she had worn the same black knee-length dress during their office party. Nothing in her look was different than that day. The same could be said for James, albeit he did look dashing.

"Because you are an extra-ordinary women. Plus, you looked equally amazing and beautiful that day as you do today." He said this to her without hiding behind a nonchalant attitude.

"Don't try to flatter me, James. I have to admit, though, you looked nice too..." Emily said, but James completed her sentence.

"I think I hear a But coming. What is it?" With a tiny grimace on his face, he asked.

"Um," she approached him slowly and lifted her hand, "Can I?" She asked him.

James was confused but gave her the go-ahead. "Of course,"

Even after wearing one-inch heels, she had to stretch to reach James' hair, but she still couldn't get to his height, so he had to stoop a little so that his head was easily accessible to her.

While lowering himself, he reflexively kept his hand on her waist for support. Emily then messed up his hair a little with her delicate hand. She never liked perfectly coiffed, gelled hair. It made a person look artificial.