Chapter 29

Emily was sound asleep when she felt her upper body being crushed, her head resting on a solid chest. She gradually became aware of her legs becoming intertwined as she regained consciousness. When she opened her eyes, she tried to change the position of her body, which was not easy as she realized that both she and James had fallen asleep on the couch.

'So last night was not a dream,' Emily thought with a smile on her face.

She couldn't believe it. She had actually confessed her feelings to James, and he accepted her. However, her merry thoughts were short-lived as when she tried to look at James' face properly, she lost her balance, and both fell to the floor with a 'thud.'

"Oomph," James said, who was now on top of her.

"Ouch," Emily groaned as she felt a sudden weight on her.

"Shit! Emily, are you okay?" James asked her, lifting off some of his weight.

"You mean, am I alive? Yes. James, I am very much alive. But you are heavy." She told him, trying to push him off.

"You didn't feel that when we were making out couple of hours back." James teased her while getting up and extending his hand for her support, which she gratefully accepted. But to hide her blush, she punched his chest.

This only made him chuckle.

"So, what do you want to do today?" James asked Emily while she was preparing coffee for them. He was making egg toast at the time.

"Don't you want to go to the office? It is not the weekend yet." Emily stated.

"Let's call in sick? I really want to celebrate today, and one day leave won't do us any harm." James suggested.

"For me, two days. I took a sick leave yesterday." When Emily saw James' disappointed face, she added. "But I can take another day off. My mandatory leaves are still pending, and you are reporting persons. If you approve, who can question me?"

"Well, that's true. And as your senior, I really don't want you to go to the office where we can be doing better things here." James smiled and tried to kiss Emily, but she gently pushed his chest away.

"Not so soon. I am hungry, and I need my daily fix of cheerios." Emily said this while taking one packet from the cabinet.

"Please don't tell me I would need to fight for your attention with Cheerios." He asked her, amused.

"You may have to," Emily said with a cheeky grin.

James attempted to smuggle away a few Cheerios during breakfast, but she surprised him by offering him her packet. He didn't know if it was a test or a trap, but he took a chance, and fortunately, she didn't hit him.

However, they subsequently decided to go to Emily's because she had not yet taken a bath, and most of her casual clothes were at her apartment, which she had taken with her when she left his. Where Emily was still in her pyjamas. James wore blue cargo shorts and a red tee-shirt.

They both were in the actual mood of chilling, which they thoroughly did. But their well-wishers, on the other hand, were completely worried.

Another day off for both Emily and James didn't sit well with Justin, as it appeared that they were avoiding one another.

He hates to do this, but as a professional, he needs to give them a dose of ethics and, as friends, put some brain into them. He tried calling James' number a few times, but he didn't pick it up. He asked Fiona to try Emily's number, which she cut not so subtly. Jake and Kate tried their luck as well, but both failed miserably.