Chapter 18

It was ten in the morning when James woke up. The best part about staying at his parents' house has always been that he could be a kid again, especially around the holidays when he was not swamped with work.

The late morning rising, delicious food made by his mother, wasting time on meaningless shows running on the television, insightful discussion with his father, and not forgetting the trivial quarrel with his sister. Ideally, he would not have had to close his eyes and drift off to sleep for another hour or two, but when he felt Emily's absence beside him, he lay half-up on his back, frantically searching the room for any sign of her.

It was odd that she was awake before him because, for the most part, she wakes up at least a half-hour later than him. He likes to spend his early morning going for a jog or doing basic workout exercises at home.

He tried to influence Emily to do the same, but making her even move a hand in the name of the exercise is as good as banging your head on the wall.

He once managed to trick her into meditating, and the eventual result was her sleeping in an Indian pose. That was the day he knew Emily could no longer surprise him because only she could master the skill of sleeping while meditating within five minutes.

When James realized she wasn't in the room, he figured she was with his parents downstairs. So he got out of bed, cleaned his teeth, and went into the living room, where he found his father, sister, and niece lounging on the couch.

After wishing them a good morning, he asked about Emily.

However, Sierra just couldn't give him a straight answer. "Awe. You just can't go a single minute without her, can you? Are you sure you are not dating her for real?"

"Shut up, Sierra. I couldn't find her in the room, so I thought I would ask you if you saw her." James glared at his sister.

His father was the one who responded. "She's in the kitchen with your mother and Cooper."

"Thanks, dad." After what his dad added, James told him, but he wished he could take his appreciation back for the straight answer.

"Don't thank me just yet, son. Kiss your girlfriend for me instead." His dad laughed at James' flat response. "But I do get why you like her."

"Will you two keep it down? I don't want to scare her away. And just so you know, the feelings are one-sided." James spoke to them in hushed tones.

His family will undoubtedly reveal his secret affection for her.

"James, I really doubt that it is one-sided," Sierra said. "That girl came here with you. She is pretending to be in a relationship with you, and there is no blackmail involved. Sure, it is to get away from the CC Grams match-making scheme, but no girl would agree to be in such a position if no feelings were involved. Not someone like Emily."

"Well, yeah, Emily would not have agreed if she was not comfortable. That is a good sign, but please, for the sake of God, don't tell her anything." There was a tint of pleading in James' voice.

"Okay, brother. We promise that we won't say anything to her or tease you in front of her." Sierra rolled her eyes.

"Thanks! Anyway, I am hungry, so I am going to eat now."

Sierra and her father exchanged knowing glances as James exited the living room. They agreed not to tease but did not agree to not try to bring them closer together. They are great together. Even though they cannot force their desire on Emily, they can definitely help James.

But what they didn't realize was that James didn't need any help. Just by being himself, he was making a place in Emily's heart, even without her even realizing it.