Chapter 9

Fortunately for James and Emily, dinner with Jake went off without a hitch, and Emily was almost done with unwrapping all her belongings.

The current day was halfway through, but Emily's flow of work was interrupted by the ringtone of her phone call. When she checked the caller ID, she saw it was her father.

Henry Davies, her biological father.

The guy she hates to associate herself with but is unfortunately bounded by blood. She cut the call immediately without a second thought. It's the same reaction she has every time.

Normally, her so-called father always gets the unspoken hint and doesn't bother to phone her back, but he did the exact opposite this time around. He called again. She cuts the call again, but today he doesn't seem to get the message that she has zero interest in talking with him. He was just calling her again and again. It was the fifth time.

Damn that thick-headed man.

"Emily, it might be urgent if the person is calling you repeatedly," James told her.

He was slightly vexed with the constant ringing of her phone. Emily's phone was ringing, and she was not picking up the call, and neither did the person on the other side get the point that she was not interested in talking. Moreover, he could also not read Emily's reaction, as she had her poker face on. But she was also looking a bit aggravated.

"I highly doubt that." She rolled her eyes.

She wanted to block her father's number, but Jake asked her not to. It was not the right thing to do, and they shouldn't stoop to his level.

Jake and his stupid, irrational morals.

James knew better than to counter her statement with his own, so he remained silent. He knew that he needed to let her be. Especially since he knew they weren't the best of friends, despite their pretentious relationship.

But the phone rang again, and she groaned before answering it. "What the bloody hell do you want?"

"This is not the way to talk to your father," Henry said harshly to his daughter.

Emily wanted to show him his rightfully deserved place, but she decided against it and tried to keep her cool. She should have left the cabin to speak discreetly with her biological father, but unfortunately, she couldn't. Because the cabin door security lock was malfunctioning, she and James were stuck inside until someone unlocked it.

Apparently, James' cabin had a unique safety lock, and unfortunately, the only person who could access it was an hour away. Breaking the door was a tempting option, but sabotaging office property would tarnish her already judgmental image, so she chose to stay put.

"What do you want?" She asked him again, trying to control her rage.

"I have arranged for a family dinner tonight. There will be a few distant relatives and friends. So, I want you present." Her father stated, expecting her to abide by his words easily.

"I have other plans." She simply said, trying to get away from his forced invitation.

She was well-versed with her father's antics. He had a soiled reputation in the marketplace. Therefore, he was using her and Jake as pawns to prove to the public that he lived a near-perfect existence.

"I am sure you can cancel it. Jake had already agreed to come with his family. And who knows, maybe you will find a gentleman here who might like you." Emily wished she could punch the man on the other end of the phone.

"I don't need your help with that. I already have plans with my BOYFRIEND, and I doubt we will be able to cancel them at the last minute." Her palm was clenched into a fist while she was trying to calm her ragged breathing.