Chapter 20

"What the hell is going on here?" James was perplexed by the situation in front of him.

It was ludicrous.

"Shh! James. Don't disturb us." Emily said, trying to quieten him down while she was staring at the television with rapt attention.

"I am disturbing you? News flash, hon. It is you and my father causing a ruckus here. It is bloody four o'clock in the morning, and instead of sleeping, you guys are playing COD." James told her.

He was in deep slumber, but when he turned to drape his arm over Emily, his hand landed on the empty side of the bed. He woke up with an alarm and became concerned when he saw the time. He hoped that she had not ran away from him.

He rushed downstairs only to discover his father and Emily playing a video game.

This time, it was his father who spoke up, attempting to silence his son. "Will you keep it down, James? I am really trying to beat your girlfriend in this game. Or else, I have to give her two packets of cheerios."

"You have got to be kidding me. Cheerios again? What if you win? Then what happens?" James asked, looking at Emily curiously.

"I go on a friendly date with him," Emily said nonchalantly. James' eyes widened before narrowing.

"Date? You agreed to go on a date with my dad?" His voice was a little more booming than usual.

He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Yeah, James. It is just a friendly date. He wants to learn more about our generation, and he feels that I am the perfect person. Plus, I love your dad. It will be fun." Emily hadn't taken her gaze away from the screen.

James was still shocked, unable to believe the fact that he was envious of his own father. How in heaven in this world did he score a date with Emily?

His Emily.

He knew that it was pointless to ponder about it, and sleep was far from what he had in mind after learning about the new-found information that he had just heard. As a result, he sat glumly beside the couch in an armchair.

"Why my dad?" He couldn't help but ask.

He felt like someone had stolen his favourite toy right in front of his eyes, and he couldn't do anything about it.

He couldn't believe that his father had more courage to ask her out than him.

"Why not him? He is a handsome man. If he were only younger, then I would have totally been smitten with him." Emily stated in an obvious tone.

This made his dad flush but gave a flirty but teasing reply. "Isn't she a sweetheart, James? I would have totally asked you out, honey."

James was feeling grumpy and didn't like the joke. "Stop flirting with Emily, Dad. And you, my dear fake girlfriend, you could easily date his younger version, who is practically his twin. I am a better option than my father."

His father intervened by making a tsk sound, "Not a smooth way to ask a girl out, James. Did I teach you nothing while growing up?"

"I am just going to ignore that question. Anyway, how did you guys even begin to play this game?" He asked them curiously, trying to divert his mind and that question.

All of them, except his dad, were in their chambers by eleven because he wanted to watch the news.

"Your dad, like us, has a secret pleasure of gaming. When I came down here to get water, I caught him red-handed in the act. Then one thing led to another, and before you know it, we were on the opposite side of the battle. In short, our competition begins." Emily explained.