Chapter 19

Emily and James had a wonderful time while playing in the arcade.

For the first time, he didn't feel self-conscious about displaying his game obsession in front of a girl. Whenever he had gone out with his friends, and if their girlfriends tagged along, it was aggravating because of their continual whining about being bored. But he should have known better than to expect such behavior from Emily.

In addition to that, he was not worried about getting a judgmental reaction from Emily because she didn't judge him.

At least not face.

However, her own gaming addiction made them great together. She was definitely a competitive person, but a fun one.

After almost three hours of playing with the machines, they finally decided to go out for dinner. Since Emily doesn't know Greenbury like James does, he chose the location, and Emily made it a point to remind him over and over again about their deal and that it was her turn to pay.

"I get it, Emily. I swear that I won't play smart and pay our bill." He was exasperated, but he refused to change anything between them. Her constant reminder was really annoying, but at the same time, he knew that she was big on self-respect. However, he doesn't believe that his paying for her is in any way detrimental to her dignity.

"Good." Emily was pleased with his word.

They headed to 'The Food House,' a cozy restaurant near his residence. The size of the place does no justice to the quality of food served there. It was simply too good to be true.

They ordered nothing fancy, just plain Chinese to go with coke. Yes, a non-alcoholic soft drink. None of them felt like drinking any ounce of alcohol. As corny as it may seem, they were already high on joy.

Just as they were about to walk out of the restaurant and onto their commute, James stopped in his tracks.

"James Anderson! What a pleasant surprise?" With a smug smirk on his face, the man said.

He looked just too haughty. Emily felt an instant dislike towards his vibe and his personality. Even his face, for that matter.

"Henry Hudson," James said. "What are you doing here?" Instead of replying, James answered with his own question.

He despised everything about this man, from top to bottom and beginning to end.

"Same as you. I am here for the alumini. Who is this girl with you?" Henry asked him with curiosity.

He couldn't help but be intrigued by the girl next to James, although he was here on a date with his own girl. As it is, he came here with her just for one date. He wasn't committed.

"His girlfriend." Emily flashed her trademark faux grin and locked her arm with James' hand.

He was looking at her with pride, as though he loved to show the world that Emily was his girlfriend.

"His girlfriend? Well, I am surprised that James could find such a beautiful woman." Henry said, evidently attempting to put him down.

"Or rather, I am fortunate to find such an incredible man like him," Emily told Henry while looking at James with her gorgeous eyes that were glowing with unfiltered emotion.

The most crucial thing was that it didn't appear to be faux. He sincerely hoped that it was not just his imagination. He didn't want to be deluded by the notion that Emily had feelings for him. That would be a tremendous bummer.

"I am more fortunate than you, Emily," James spoke softly to her, which was only meant for her to hear, but Henry did as well, which was not a terrible thing.

In response, Emily kissed his cheeks.

Somewhere, she knew that their small interaction, and the hidden meaning behind the words, were crystal clearly communicated to each other.

"Well, then, I will see you at the party?" Henry asked them, trying to stifle their subtle romance.

James told him, looking straight in the eyes, "Yes, you will."

"Really?" Emily asked James after Henry, and his date went inside the restaurant.

"Yeah. Since we are already here, we might as well go to this reunion. But I am only going if you are coming with me." He told her. He has no interest in going there without her by his side.

"Of course. But I have a question for you." Emily told him.

"Yes?"

"Is all Henry an ass?"

James burst out laughing. "I guess so."