Chapter 10

"James, thanks again for coming here. I don't know how I will ever repay you for everything you have done for me in a matter of a week." Emily told him while they were standing in front of her father's house.

"For the millionth time, Emily, don't. Just stop thanking me because, believe it or not, I don't want any harm or unnecessary stress to attack you. The least you could do for me is to relax and throw all your problems aside." James said, hoping that she would listen to him.

"Easier said than done, especially when we are both just stepping into it." She stated.

"Then we will deal with it together." Jake extended his arm, which Emily gladly linked with hers.

When they rang the doorbell, it was none other than the host who welcomed them.

"Emily! You made it. And you must be her famous boyfriend." Henry greeted them. His words had a sarcastic tone.

"I don't know about famous, but her boyfriend? Yes." James addressed him politely.

"We will see how long it lasts," Henry said, too confident that Emily's relationship with this fellow wouldn't work.

No one can deal with her.

"For as long as she will have me. Even then, she won't be able to get rid of me this easily. The root of a great relationship is respect and trust, which we both have that for one another."

Emily felt like kissing him right there and then.

Henry's body, however, went rigid, though. He thought that he could manipulate James, but her boyfriend is a stubborn but sensible man.

"So, where did the two of you meet?" He asked James.

"We work in the same work-place. She is my associate." James explained.

"So you are her boss." It was a statement rather than a question. He had a judgmental expression in his eyes.

"No, Justin is her boss. I am her partner." James said, challenging him to speak otherwise.

This guy is a complete moron.

Fortunately, her nephew Max interrupted their chat by running towards her and hugging her knees. Emily gladly picked him up.

"Aunt Fluffy."

This caused James to chuckle and Emily to frown.

She cursed Justin under her breath for influencing her nephew to call her that. That idiot gave Max an idea to test how big a softie she is by pulling her cheeks, which he happily did, and he's been calling her Aunt Fluffy ever since.

"Come on, Maxie. Let's go find your parents. We should not stop Henry from meeting his important guests." Emily told the little kid. She would do anything to stay away from this man.

"You should not call your father by name, Emily." He glared at her.

"For that, you need to act like one, and we both know you are far from doing that." Emily left Henry furious, and James followed her.

Her anger runs deeper than he had imagined. This guy must have done something extremely horrible to make her detest him so much.

Emily and James both headed to the corner of the room, where Jake and Kate were already standing. She put her nephew down while greeting her brother and sister-in-law.

"Thank you for showing up so early," Jake commented sarcastically.

It was fair, as they were an hour late, on purpose.

"Be glad that I even showed up." Emily rolled her eyes. She was about to say something further when she noticed Max was looking adorably but curiously at James.