семнадцать

— Chapter 17

The devil doesn't bargain

He'll only break your heart again

It isn't worth it, darling

He's never gonna change

He'll never be Prince Charming

He'll only do you harm again

I don't mean to meddle

But the devil doesn't settle

No, the devil doesn't bargain

— Devil doesn’t bargain by Alec Benjamin

__ After last night event __

Alina sat awake in the dark, watching the flickering light of the campfire play over the canvas walls of the tent. she could feel the weight of the collar against her neck, and her bound hands itched to claw at it. She thought of Mal, just a few feet away in another tent.

She’d brought them to this. If she’d taken the stag’s life, the stag power would have been hers. She’d known what mercy might cost them. Her freedom. Mal’s life. The lives of countless others. And still she’d been too weak to do what needed to be done.

That night, Alina dreamed of the stag. She saw the General cut the stag's throat again and again. She saw life fading from its dark eyes. But when she looked down, it was her blood that spilled red into the snow.

With a gasp, Alina woke up from her dream, she slept poorly.She was no longer in the woods, she now sat in a coach with Ivan by her side. The stag had died anyway, and now Mal and her were doomed.

Lunetta was never seen near them again, rumor has it she was kept by the general. Reason unknown.

Alina didn’t see the Darkling again until we reached the outskirts of Kribirsk, when the door to the coach suddenly opened and he slid into the seat opposite Her. Ivan left with no words.

“Where’s Lunetta?” Alina asked as soon as the door had closed.

She saw the fingers of his gloved hand clench, but when he spoke, his voice was as cold and smooth as ever. “We’re entering Kribirsk,” he said.