Chapter Twenty-Two

(Your Pov)

"Werewolves."

"What?" Loki's eyes widened at your news, as you continued trying to learn more about them through smell. But the wind had only carried so much, muddled and confusing as it was. "Here?"

"There's... three. Or four. I can't tell." You tried desperately to decipher the secrets the breeze whispered, always coming to the same conclusion. "They are rogues."

Loki thought for a moment, as you fought your wolf to remain still. You couldn't break this bond with Loki until he knew what you were up against. "The ones from the city?" He knew of your actions in the bank with Stephanie, Joe, and Russel, and how two had been proclaimed dead. Loki already reassured you that such defensive measures were necessary in his eyes, and he didn't hold their deaths against you. If anything, he wanted to kill them again for even trying to hurt you.

"No. I don't know them. They are betas, so let's hope I still have some influence." Loki nodded as he understood, and you continued. "Ask the team if the wolves are the enhanced we are fighting." If werewolves were siding with Hydra... it could only be safe to assume that they were here for you. Or some other way which you played into their schemes. Hydra had already tried to take you once, and it ended with their human team deceased.

But with werewolves? Werewolves were much harder to kill by human means. Let alone by werewolf ones.

Loki pressed a hand to his ear, asking the team your question. You heard them shout in response that everyone they were fighting is human. 

Fast and strong, but human.

 "Wait~" Steve relayed, as you reassured Loki that you could hear what they said through the coms in this form. "They're... they're stopping."

"Cap, mine just shifted!" You heard Natasha shout, as the familiar magic washed over you. Wolf scents were stronger in wolf form, and rogues were no exception. Even if they were exempt from most pack laws. "She's heading for the jet!"

Shit.

You and Loki shared a long look of concern, knowing that going against four werewolves would be impossible to escape unscathed. Even for the two of you. Loki couldn't fight one up close without at least catching lycanthropy himself, and if you went up against them...

Even an Alpha can be overpowered.

But if you stayed in the quinjet, you would be nothing more than sitting ducks. So, how does one escape a small pack of werewolves while they track your scents across the battlefield? Knowing your every movement, just as you knew theirs?

Teleportation.

"Loki, can you teleport us?" You ask quickly, smelling as their magics were stronger. There were definitely four wolves. Two male, two female. All rogues. All betas. And strong ones at that, if they were charging to take on an Alpha head first. "On my signal?"

"Of course, Love. Where?"

"To the team." With the details hashed out, Loki grabbed hold of you as securely as he could, waiting until you were ready. You needed this timed perfectly if you were going to have the most time to escape. The wolves approached the Quinjet, and you knew it would soon be time.

You could hear their pace slow, and smell their stink curl around the edges of the jet's door. Paws against the ground outside the loudest indicator of their arrival.

Just as the tips of their snouts became visible, you threw your weight against Loki. He held you tight, magic engulfing the two of you. The world faded, as barks of surprise and frustration were heard.

And just like before, the sudden shift made your body shake with nausea. But your wolf quickly shook off the feeling, lending her renewed strength. Because she had felt her mate's magic stronger than ever before. She imprinted upon him in a way she could never do in human form.

She met Loki. And she liked him.

"Loki! What the hell." Clint cursed when the two of you suddenly appeared by his side in the small hiding place he had found. "About time you two showed up. We need the help."

"You need much more than that." Loki laughed dryly, releasing the wolf he carried. You shook off the tight grasp, peeking up to scan the battlefield. There were still Hydra soldiers arming various weapons, and even a few tanks that Tony had taken to destroying. Along with the Hulk, who blasted through building after building like they were nothing. Now he might stand a chance against the werewolves. But Hydra kept the powerhouses busy, leaving Steve, Clint, Natasha, and Thor to battle out the enhanced.

Clint glanced up in confusion at Loki's statement. "What do you mean?"

Before he could answer, a howl echoed from far off to your left. Now you've made them mad.

Great.

You tap Loki's hand, "We need to finish off Hydra before the wolves come back."

"Agreed." Loki whispered, drawing a strange glance from Clint. So much for hiding your communication habits. "We need to finish Hydra before the wolves return."

But fortunately, he shrugged off your new ability. Relaying your idea to the team. A shrill "That's what we're trying to do!" barrelling back in response. When Barton glanced at the two of you to repeat their message, you were already nodding from their answer.

"Go make yourselves useful, then."

You stood with Loki, moving to do just that. Eyes easily spotting those remaining, as you and Loki went to work incapacitating them all. You had to be careful when fighting, a death sentence to those who caught lycanthropy. You would need to question some about how Hydra found the werewolves, though it seemed Loki was able to do this more easily. A flick of magic and the weak minded collapsed, unconscious.

"Target acquired." One of the henchmen said, approaching you. They had refrained from silver items this time around, it seemed. With werewolves of their own side being so close.

You glared at the mindless minion, before catapulting yourself to knock him over. Crashing into his body as his head hit a rock, knocking him unconscious. So there were indeed some you managed to keep alive.

Mostly alive. You sniffed his helmet, finding him still breathing.

It wasn't long until their leader fell, and you could shift your attention to the next fight.

"Furball, I think we have company." Tony said, as you caught up to Natasha's side. "I see the wolves coming back."

"Keep tabs on them." Steve echoed your thought, as you waited until Loki appeared. You had been separated in the battle, but now that the fight with Hydra had led to their surrender, the team was trying to regroup. They fell quickly after their precious enhanced allies disappeared. "Y/N, what's the plan?"

Natasha glanced down at you, knowing that you could hear their words well enough. But you can't respond, and quite frankly it wouldn't be the best idea to shift back now.

You glance around the debris of the fight, looking for your mate. He was your means to communicate with the team. There wasn't enough time for anything to be wrong now.

"Alpha!" A wolf barked, his cry chiming through the air. Time was up. Where was Loki? You glance up to Natasha, knowing she couldn't understand them. They weren't werewolves. It was another language to them.

You wouldn't go back to the pack. You wouldn't. But you couldn't ignore the threat of these mercenaries either. They would turn the Avengers if that meant you went along with whatever they wanted. If you couldn't communicate with the Avengers, then there were few ways to keep them safe if they faced down these wolves. 

You had to go alone.