Chapter Twenty-Three

(Warning: dog fight, minor gore, injuries, and alphaness. Thanks for reading!)

(Your Pov)

With little other choice, you started walking away from the rendezvous. To the warrior woman's surprise, as she tried to follow you. A stern glare all she needed to know that this wasn't her fight.

It wasn't the Avengers' fight. Lycanthropy develops an illness until one's werewolf traits were accepted. And even then, they may not be. If the others were hurt by the rogues, it could mean their death.

So you ran away from the team, heading for the strange make-shift pack. "I'm here, betas." You call out, defining their position with your power as well. Daring them to even consider challenging you. You reached a middle ground, waiting for the others to show themselves. "What do you want?"

This is a bad idea. You knew it was a bad idea. But you played the hardened Alpha nonetheless, even when hulking brutes of wolves came out from under the treeline. Bigger and stronger than any you've faced.

No wonder they're rogues. With such power, they would have been sickened and challenge any Alpha in their path.

Including you, unfortunately.

"We are your... escort, back to pack Dawnfall." One chuckled, as they started fanning out to surround you. Ohhhh no. Oh no, no, no.

You wouldn't put it past Fergus to hire werewolf hunters. It was a stretch of his cruelty, but it was possible. And if he had stooped so low... you could only imagine what he would do if this trick of his wouldn't work.

It wouldn't work. You rather be dead than go back to that life.

So you laughed. You stood, blatantly ignoring their threats. "Oh, betas. Do you really dare challenge an Alpha? My Alpha?" Her energy washed through you, as you called upon her strength. You needed to be powerful if they would avoid fighting you. Four against one. You wouldn't last, but they didn't know that.

You could see them falter in their step as your magic tried to influence them. As Clint had said, to scare them into submission. "Your Alpha is nothing, pup. You will come with us, whether we must kill you first or not."

Nothing? Compared to what? You turn your attention to the one speaking, drowning what fear came. Alphas are strong. Alphas are fearless. Otherwise, shit like this happens.

But even if you were the strongest Alpha, against four seasoned fighters you would lose.

"I issue a challenge." The words sprouted from your mouth before you could field their meaning, the others stopping their herding tendencies. There were different versions of challenges between werewolves, but they all included a fight strictly between two wolves. No others could engage.

You could take on one wolf. It wouldn't be impossible.

"A challenge?" Another wolf broke the silence, one of the females. You didn't know her, and yet still she laughed as if you really were just some lost pup. "For what?"

"My submission." She thought this over carefully, seeming to like the idea. It would save them time and the option of being found again by the Avengers if you went willingly. All over one little battle? "If you win, I will yield control. If I win, you lick your wounds and leave."

Oh Fenrir, this was far fetched even for you. All or nothing. Werewolves were creatures of their word, if nothing else. If you lost, long is the day you would ever see daylight again. But if they lost... Well, that wouldn't stop Fergus from sending out more of these mercenaries. Just not these ones.

She smiled, glancing at one of the members in their make-shift pack. A pack of rogues- you wondered how that hierarchy even worked. If they even had one. "Agreed."