Chapter 1: In the Underground

It's dark and cold down in the underground with dried up buildings that look as if they will fall any second now. When there were no sounds of pain and suffering from the people that dwell in this dark abyss, all you heard was silence. There was no joy or laughter living under the dirt ceiling, but this was your home. This place is all you've ever known in your short 18 years of life, a miracle that you've even survived here for this long. You have been on your own since a child after your parents suddenly disappeared with no traces on where they have gone or if they were even still alive. You've managed to survive by pickpocketing drunk civilians who were passed out on the streets or occasionally stealing a stale loaf of bread from the market. Sometimes you got caught and had to fight back when necessary but there were times you were left in an alley covered in blood to die. You did what you could, learning to protect yourself and fight, learning to be stealthy, but your number one rule was not to trust anyone in this hell hole.

Your goal was to save enough money from pickpocketing so you could buy your ticket out of the underground and live on the surface. Obviously it's been difficult on your own but you do whatever you can to stay positive and face towards your goals. Once on the surface... 'life will get better...' you thought.

-

You slowly open your eyes as you get up and stretch your arms, feeling your back hurting a bit from sleeping on the hard surface, only a thin blanket protecting you from it. After rubbing your tired eyes, you slip on your thin black jacket, brown boots, and the backpack you made yourself from scraps of fabric you find lying around. You crawl out of the tent which rests on the roof of a building and climb down the nearby ladder. You pull your hood over your head and start walking towards the market. Most shops present nearly rotten food, but that's all there was to survive off of. You find a stall with people surrounded, a perfect distraction. As you inch your way closer, you see bright red apples at their peak mixed with some mushy ones.

You wait until you see the owner looking the other way before you quickly snag an apple and pull it up your sleeve. The owner quickly looks back, looking at you with suspicious eyes. You glance at him and ask, "How much are these apples?"

He looks at you up and down and says, "10 coins each."

You pull out your pouch, pretending to count your coins and sigh, "Damn, I don't have enough. Any chance you'll take 3 coins?" You ask.

He laughs at your face and says, "You got jokes kid. Get the hell away from my shop."

You remain silent and head down the street away from the shop. Once far enough, you pull the apple out of your sleeve as you admire the redness it gives off. 'This should be enough until dinner.' You thought to yourself. As you are about to bite into it, you hear painful grunts coming from an alley a few feet from you. You glance in the dark narrow opening and find two grown men beating a child in rags. "Please..." you hear the child say.

"Shut your fucking mouth or we'll kill you too." One of the men says. The child begins coughing out blood which a speck lands on the man's shirt. "You little shit-" He says, raising his arm for another punch. The child flinches only to feel his body dropped to the ground. When he opens his eyes, he sees the man on the ground holding his stomach and you standing next to him, slowly putting your leg back on the ground.

"H-hey! What did you do that for?!" the other man yells.

You look at them with a dark gaze as you help the child up and push him behind you to protect him.

"You bitch-" the man says, running towards you with a dagger in his hand. You quickly dodge each swipe, one swipe almost slicing your face. You punch his sides a few times and swipe his feet causing him to fall. He lands on his back with his head hitting the ground, slowly looking up at your figure just above him, his teeth gritting and his eyes in a crazed state. You look back at him with half lidded eyes before you forcefully stomp on his hand, breaking his wrist which causes him to let go of the dagger. A blood curdling scream exits his mouth as you go to pick up his dagger, pointing it back at him. Both men lay there with fear in their eyes.