May 29-July 4, 2008: A Guest of the White Council

However, I heard talking coming from the hallway outside."And really, I think you can trust that I know what I am doing." It was Gandalf's voice.

I strolled out of my room and it seemed to be coming from one of the balconies. I found it and crept closer to the balcony, just out of sight. "Do you? The dragon has slept for 60 years. What will happen if your plan fails, if you wake the beast? And to think you would drag Y/N into this."

This time it was Elrond speaking and they were talking about me. "They will be fine, they are a strong wizard. And what if we succeed? If the Dwarves take back the mountain our defenses in the east will be strengthened.

"It is a dangerous move, Gandalf." I hear a small shuffling noise and look over to see Bilbo looking back at Thorin.

(I don't think they notice me yet.) "It is also dangerous to do nothing. Oh, come, the throne of Erebor is Thorin's birthright. What do you fear?" Elrond gives Gandalf a harsh look "Have you forgotten? A strain of madness runs deep in that family. His grandfather lost his mind. His father succumbed to the same sickness. Can you swear Thorin Oakenshield will also not fall?"

(I honestly feel a bit sorry for Thorin. I can tell by his eyes that he looks troubled.) "Gandalf, these decisions do not rest with us alone. It is not up to you or me to redraw the map of Middle-Earth."

Gandalf gives Elrond a stern look back "With or without our help, these Dwarves will march onto the mountain. They're determined to reclaim their homeland.

I do not believe Thorin Oakenshield feels that he is answerable to anyone. Nor, for that matter, am I." Elrond looks at Gandalf "It is not me you must answer to."

Then Gandalf looks over to see a beautiful elf all dressed in white. "Lady Galadriel." (Her beauty is like a glow around her.) "Thank you, Y/N."

I let out a small scream and jumped out of my hiding place when I heard the other voice in my head. I look up at the three figures and give an awkward smile.

"Um hi..." "Ah Y/N, I see you've decided to make your presence known to us," Gandalf says to me as he gives a warm smile. "Mithrandir. It has been a long time." Galadriel says to Gandalf, he replies in elvish "Age may have changed you, but not so the Lady of Lorien." Galadriel smiles at Gandalf as well.

"I had no idea Lord Elrond had sent for you," Gandalf says, then out of the darkness another voice came. "He didn't. I did." "Saruman" Gandalf turns towards Saruman and bows to him and expects me to do the same. I don't move from my spot next to Lady Galadriel.

(I've always hated that no good, entitled, white wizard) Saruman narrows his eyes at me and speaks to Gandalf. "You've been busy of late my friend." All of the White Council are accounted for, Saruman and Gandalf sit at the table while Galadriel and Elrond walk about. I simply lean against one of the tall pillars, feeling the cool marble against my back.

The sun rises over the pavilion and creates a soft glow over everyone. Saruman speaks up again "Tell me, Gandalf. Did you think these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed?"

Gandalf somehow with a straight face answers him, "Unnoticed? No, I'm simply doing what I feel to be right." (Yeah stand up to him Gandalf!) I then hear Galadriel's soft voice "The dragon has long been on your mind."

(The dragon is always on my mind.) "It is true, my lady. Smaug owes allegiance to no one. But if he should side with the enemy, a dragon could be used to terrible effect." Gandalf says and I agree with him completely. Imagine having a giant, fire-breathing dragon on your side to fight a war. The other side, aka us, would be annihilated.

Elrond then asks "What do you mean?" Gandalf has a weary look in his eyes, "There is something at work beyond the evil of Smaug. Something far more powerful. We can remain blind to it, but it will not be ignoring us, that I can promise you. A sickness lies over the Greenwood. The woodsmen who live there now call it Mirkwood, and they say..."