6

The soccer field was bustling with student activity

The soccer field was bustling with student activity. Everywhere you turned there was a table set up with a club for students to join. I found myself drifting towards book club, but also the student event club committee. While we were allowed to join up to five clubs, I wanted to save my time for schoolwork, so I limited my clubs to just one. Across the field, I saw Apollo. He made casual conversation with the angel girl, smiled and laughed at her jokes. They signed up for a club together. I felt slightly sick, my relationship with Apollo was tense but I never took him for the type to befriend someone like her. Mason shook my arm, I looked at him, shaking free of his grip. "Theirs the sculpting club," Mason said, pointing to a banner that read CLAY & SCULPTING. I raised my brows, "So?"

"So you have to sign up with me." He said, his grip found its way to my wrist and I wondered in how many languages would I have to say 'don't touch me' in before he finally comprehended the boundary. I shook my wrist free of him, "No, I can walk with you over there but I can't even draw."

"So? It'll be fun." He pressed on. My eyes spotted a banner that read RANGED WEAPONS CLUB. In year 8, a group of upper-class men had started it since the school didn't teach combat training with ranged weapons in its curriculum. I was pretty good with a bow, but never had the urge to join the archery team. I chewed on the thought, tuning out Mason's rambling. He snapped three times on my ear pulling me back to reality. "Are you coming?"

"I think I'm gonna sign up for the ranged weapons club." I blurted. Mason sighed, "Fine, but then we're going to sculptures after." I rolled my eyes; I wasn't signing up for that club in our lifetime. We headed over to the club of my choice, Emerson and Victoria were already hanging around when we got there. "Are you signing up for ranged weapons too?" She asked. I nodded, "Seems fun."

"It is! They have a whole training field for guns, crossbows, knives, anything!" She beamed. I smiled, feeling reassured about my decision. I wrote my name down on the list. "You guys are lame, you should've signed up for the student event committee." Emerson beamed. I sucked my teeth, "that was an option?"

"Yeah, but I can see how you missed it, it's way in the back." Emerson said, pointing past all the visible club set ups. "I can't wait for the school year to start, this is gonna be so fun." She giggled, wrapping her arms around her sister's neck. "That makes one of us." Mason replied. "That's cause you're always the outlier." Emerson shrugged. Mason rolled his eyes, dragging me off to clay & sculpting. I offered the twins a small wave before departing.