27

Apollo returned by the time it was lunch

Apollo returned by the time it was lunch. I was sitting with Lila going over what the black line could've meant. We'd agreed that it was some sort of disturbance, eliminated the possibility of a black hole as it was too small and not even slightly circular. It was rigid, like a tear. Eventually, we had to accept the fact that it was most likely supernatural, a spiritual disturbance we'd have to report to the gods. "Audrey, we need to talk." He said, entering the library. I had a stack of books in front of me and a map of the galaxy researching every possible outcome. Apollo glanced at the books. "What are you doing?"

"Research." I replied vaguely. "Sure, but what are you researching?"

"Apollo, how likely is it that a dimensional tear could form?" I asked. I furrowed his brow, "Highly improbable unless another god opened it or someone like Lila, why?"

"I think I saw a dimensional tear in the observation room, but when I checked again it was gone. My shrouds saw it though." I said, scribbling something I read done onto a piece of paper. Apollo frowned, "It's possible someone's trying to conceal the rift, if it is a rift." He thought aloud. "But if it's a dimensional rift, the goddesses should know by now."

"Would they tell you if there was?" Lila asked.

Apollo shrugged. "They'd tell certain angels, I suspect. For missions and what not."

"Could it be closed?"

"All of them can be closed. By a god, and a someone like Lila." He answered patiently. I bit my lip, "This says dimensional tears are peaks into the dimension on the other side. What dimension would be black?"

Lila and Apollo quieted, locking eyes with one another in an obvious display of realization. "Spill." I demanded. Lila shifted uncomfortably. "i
If there was a dimensional tear leading into a black dimension that someone was trying to conceal, it would most likely be ineluctabilis." She whispered. "Shit." I swore, rushing out of the room with my book in hand. I ran into my room and pulled out the coordinates and a compass. Apollo rushed into the room after me, "Where are you going?" He asked.

"To find something. She left me clues." I said, pulling my hair out of its bun and into a ponytail. "I'm coming with you." He said. I shook my head, "stay here. I can do this alone." He started to protest but I ran out the room, down to the stables and mounted locket. I wasn't sure what I was expecting to find, if there wa anything particular I should've been looking for, Stella would've said so, but she didn't so it was entirely up to my imagination to fill the gaps and oh how I hated that. I wish she was less cryptic in her letters, that I'd been granted the privilege of responding to her when I had the chance. Stupid, stupid fate. At the start of the forest, I was Locket refused to go any further so I had a shroud guard him while I checked it out. I followed the compass all the way to the edge of the forest, scraping my arms on various branches which I'm sure opened several wounds. Hope filled my lungs only to be released in a single breath, I froze, beneath me was the ocean, a shore. Behind me, a forest. Nothing was here. Nothing. I looked around more, frustrated. Basic natural scenery, nothing suspicious at all. Except that it stunk. Not the normal stench either, it stunk of burnt out magic. The closer I got to the edge the worse it smelled. A spark flew at me and I fell backwards, landing on my elbows. I hit my left elbow hard, beneath it a piece of metal stuck out the ground. I dug it out, it was a metal box. I pried it open and in it, a messily written note. It read, THE VOID IS HERE. IT SHOULDNT BE HERE. CLOSE IT. I reached my hand out to unveil it, if it was really here, whoever concealed it would've done a messy job and should be easy enough to open. I pulled my hand back, the guards were calling out for me. I ran out through the forest,but they found me rather quickly. I jerked away from one who reached for my arm. "My lady, we're here to escort you back to the Academy. It's not safe here."

"What- what are you talking about?" I sputtered. "All will be explained when you get back." He said. I followed him out the forest, dropping my note on the way out.

Audrey and I were barely given time to pack, once we were both accounted for, the loaded us into the carriage and sent us back to the school

Audrey and I were barely given time to pack, once we were both accounted for, the loaded us into the carriage and sent us back to the school. Lady Elizabeth had seen the tear Audrey warned her about, and reported it to the Queen immediately. Our safety was compromised now. They'd know we had the goblet, and they'd want our heads for it. Audrey fidgeted with her skirt, never once making eye contact with me. She didn't want to say it, so I did. "We have to bring it back."

"We can't." She whispered. "Why?"

"Because I still need it. I think... I think its best if it's not in the castle for now." Audrey faltered, unsure of her own choice. "Just trust me, please?" She begged. I wanted to, I did. But I already broke my halo, to shatter it meant it'd break beyond repair. I couldn't risk it. I couldn't lie to her either, so I stayed quiet and looked out the window. The carriage moved faster than it had the last three times we took this road. This time, Audrey didn't fall asleep. She stayed awake the whole trip, unmoving. Her nerves became guilt and it made me feel guilty too. I told her I loved her and I did. Maybe Silas was right, I put validation over the ones I loved. The carriage pulled to a stop and I instinctively reached to tap it but she was already on her way out the carriage. I couldn't tell if she was mad at me or herself, she didn't speak to me she just left. She went to her dorm and that was that.

 She went to her dorm and that was that