32

I held my breath

I held my breath. I could see the faint outline of her, but it was still too dark to tell if it was really her. "Hello?" She called it sounded like her. I was in disbelief though, there's no way it could've been her. A glowing white orb appeared in her hands and she stumbled backwards, "Audrey?" She choked out. Her dark brown skin came into view, the tight curls of her hair fell along her back, much longer now than it had been when we were younger. Stella. "You're alive?" The words flew out my mouth, stupid words honestly. Of course she's alive, she's standing in front of me. She's standing in front of me. "Gods, you're alive." I cried out, wrapping my arms around her. I squeezed her tightly. She hesitated to return the hug, "It's really you?" She asked, just as shocked as I was. "It's me." She returned the hug and we remained there for as long as we could before the reality set in and she pulled away. "How did you get down here?" She asked.

"I can't remember... how did you?"

She sighed, "Silas. I'm guessing you found my letters?"

"I did." I quieted. Her eyes trailed over me, "What happened?" How do I say it? I lost my best friend, my parents. The boy I fell in love with had been using me as a tool to regain his status and now I was in an immortal prison. I tried to string together a sentence, just one. But the words wouldn't weave together. It was a reality I was living I didn't have the heart to admit. She pulled me in for another hug. "I'm gonna get us out of here." She promised. "How?" I asked, my voice cracking. She pulled away, holding up the orb. "Ineluctabilis doesn't sustain magic, but it does matter." She said. I hadn't questioned her usage of the orb before, I was so used to seeing magic that for a brief moment I forgot the realm didn't have any but matter was everywhere. It was everywhere, and I could use it. "If we can find more," she continued. "Something that we can materialize, we can-"

"I can make shrouds." I whispered. "I'm sorry?"

"I can make shrouds." I repeated. I inhaled a deep breath and found the shadows that had kept me company since Silas entered my life. Maybe longer. I opened my eyes, and they stood before me. I held my hand out, and one stepped forward, grabbing my hand. I consumed it's energy and one by one, they all took the stand, losing their lives to me. But they'd come again. I just needed enough to get out. I turned to face Stella who stared at me in shock. "Where's the exit?" I asked. She pulled herself together, clearing her throat. "It's where the monsters wait."