18

THIRD WEEK OF THE COLD SEASON; PA 356, SENDER: Stella Black

...
If you're hearing this, it means you're looking for me. If you're looking for me, stop. You won't find me. You won't find anyone and I hope you don't. If anyone's helping you, don't ever trust them. I'll find you when it's time, I love you Drey. Stay safe.
...
MESSAGE END.

PRESENT DAY

Hours after I had unpacked, I found my way to the library. It was just as dim as before, lit only by candles which I noted as a fire hazard but also as a sign Liv was here or at least had been here. I walked with light feet around the library. Way in the back, Liv was scribbling aggressive notes across her notepad. It left charcoal smudges but never a burn. She seemed lost in the work, more dedicated than I had ever been to anything aside my duties as a n angel and schoolwork. I found a chair close to her and sat, Liv glanced up but didn't acknowledge me beyond that. I noticed how her handwriting was messy... not unreadable, in an odd way it was charming but messy. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Homework." She replied through gritted teeth. I doubted that, no one was ever this upset about their homework. "You seem mad."

"I'm not mad, I'm busy."

"Oh, then I guess you won't have time for this," I said waving Lila's letter in front of her. She scanned it over, her eyes widening. "Where'd you get this?"

"The palace- ow!" I winced as she snatched the paper out my hand leaving a paper cut between my thumb and pointer finger. She mumbled her apologies, unfolding it hungrily. She quickly consumed the words and then again, unsatisfied with her first read of the letter. When she had enough of it, she tossed it and continued to her work. "Not good enough for you?"

Liv shot up defensively, "I don't know what she told you, but that's not what happened."

I froze, holding my hands up as a show of innocence. "She didn't tell me anything, just asked me to deliver this to you!"

"Why?"

"Favors for favors,"

"Not that!" Liv groaned, collapsing back into her seat. "Why would she send it now? It's been months, she's never reached out."