19

My feet tapped impatiently against the hardwood floor as I waited for the class to end

My feet tapped impatiently against the hardwood floor as I waited for the class to end. I had very few classes with Apollo, and English unfortunately wasn't one of them. Even the classes we had together, we sat very far from one another. Still, I had to see him. I needed to find something to do with the chalice until we were able to return to the palace. I tried to focus on the textbook in front of me but my thoughts were pulled back to Alice's diaries. The first had been vague and all too personal, but the second had been anxiety ridden. The more fearful she became, the closer we got to the date she disappeared, the more information she dropped. She was scared, scared of angels but they were supposed to protect us and the ones who didn't were trapped under the skin of the earth. Not a single one strong enough to lift the barrier, not even the gods stuck below with them. If it was possible any of the abandoned gods had angels roaming about, it'd mean that there was a rift in ineluctabilis-

Mason prodded me in the ribs, snapping me out my thoughts. I swatted him away, "what?"

"How was the castle? You have to tell me all about it!" He begged. Right, that. I searched my mind for something interesting to tell him. Though I wouldn't call successfully robbing arce sanguinis 'uninteresting,' it also wasn't something I wanted a blabber mouth like Mason knowing. Instead, I told him what he wanted to hear. Yes, the queen's as crazy as legend says she is, Lady Elizabeth is as sweet as rain, her daughter not so much, the rooms were great, the castle was stunning. I didn't tell him about the woman on the harp, the castles shifting hallways, or Apollo and I. In fact, any question asked about him I steered far away from. As much as I needed to see Apollo right now, I surely did not want to think of him. Not now, or ever. Unfortunately, it seemed to be the most asked question though, and it didn't stop until class was over. Mason began eagerly packing his things droning on and on about how he'd want more details at lunch, not that I had anymore to share with him. I offered him a smile and wave as I parted from him, walking a bit too fast to Lecture Hall.

The room was on the other side of the building, which meant to make it on time, I had to basically fly, to class. To the delight of none other than the lower-class men who jumped at any chance to hop on their broomsticks as well, causing a bit of air traffic in the halls but a necessary sacrifice- and lesson for the younger kids- to make. I climbed off my broomstick and sent it back to my room, slipping into the classroom just in time to avoid hallway flight patrol. I was relieved to see Apollo already at his desk when I arrived. He always sat in the front of the room, only he was talking to a girl who I was sure wasn't in this class. I recognized her from the night before, the note had slipped from her pocket but she ignored it and continued walking. She was pretty with bright golden hair, and her dark eyes locked on mine as soon as I was within view. She tensed upon seeing me, climbing off Apollo's desk. She dusted off her black skirt and plastered on a fake smile. "Hey, Audrey, right?" Apollo turned around, his face brightening. "Hey, Audrey!"

"Hi." I broke my gaze with the girl, "are you free now?"

Apollo snorted. "Are you?"

"You know what I mean, we need to talk." The girl raised her brows, "oh am I interrupting? I didn't mean to" she said, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "Yeah, you kinda are."

"Oh. I'm sorry-"

"No worries, just give us a moment." I said, approaching them. Apollo glared at me, turning his gaze back to the girl he smiled, "See you later?"

"I'll always have time for you." She winked. A pit formed in my stomach but I suppressed a gag threatening to exit me. I sat on the desk beside Apollo, the girl waved at me, leaving the room.

"What's up?" He asked. "Silas visited me last night."

"So our business is done then? You'll find your parents and I'll... nothing."

I felt my face flush with embarrassment, "I didn't give him the goblet, Apollo." Apollo looked at me, unsurprised. "Why?"

"It-" I stammered for an answer but what came in response were tears. I turned my head upward, forcing the tears to stay put in my eyes lest they ruin my makeup which had taken a bit longer that morning. I felt my skin heat up as if it was remembering the searing pain, I saw my arms charred nearly to ash, my hair in the tub. That same blockage formed in my throat preventing me from speaking. Apollo wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him, his hand rested gently on my ankle. My heart beat faster and I found the strength that kept me from handing him the goblet. "What is it?" Apollo asked his voice was sweet and concerned. He brought his thumb to my cheek and brushed away my a tear. "He came to me two nights ago, when we were at the castle."

"He can't hurt you though, the necklace-"

"He came in my dreams, Apollo. He threatened me for the goblet, and I had it but I couldn't give it to him, I didn't trust him especially not after that. He destroyed my room, swore he'd come back and then I found Alice's diary."

"Alice? What does she have to do with it?"

"She said she was scared of angels. I knew it wasn't Aurora's, I've seen her around them. But maybe someone else's?"

Apollo tensed, "what are you saying?"

"Could there be a rift in the ineluctabilis? Is it possible that maybe Abery or the others can send angels up to our world? Maybe that's what Silas would want the goblet for?"

"Not possible... Silas is an angel, but there's no way he'd have any ties to any of the lesser gods." Apollo said thoughtfully. He brushed my hair out my face, "we'll figure it out. We can't take the goblet back, you have to hold on to it. But I won't let him touch you. I promise." I rolled my eyes at the statement and he laughed. Often I was told those same familiar lines. I promise to come back, I promise to be there. One way or another, those promises are always broken. To me, it was a bad omen more than anything. But I trusted Apollo, so I forced myself to believe he wouldn't be another person to leave, to disappear, to lie. I let him hold my hand, and when he was done I took my seat before class started and the kids started pouring into the room and I gazed on him for all of class, if I missed anything I'd just get the notes from him later.