14

As soon as Audrey was changed into her nightgown, she was passed on the bed

As soon as Audrey was changed into her nightgown, she was passed on the bed. She wasted no time getting to sleep and I supposed she hadn't slept well ever since the mage girl disappeared. From what I knew, she spent endless nights waiting for any sign of the girl to return, but she hadn't yet. She had fallen asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow and I didn't have the heart to wake her up. She snored softly, the only sign she was alive. I was nervous to leave her alone but I didn't think Silas could touch her in the palace, so I crept out the room and locked the door behind me. It was fairly easy to sneak around the building, the guards knew I belonged here so they said nothing as I moved through the halls. I found my way back to the library and knocked on the doors softly. The door opened slightly and I slipped through the opened crack. I could tell it was Lila only by her staff and followed her to the case. She lifted it open with her magic, hovering the case in the air. "Hurry." She whispered. I snatched the goblet out of the case, and Lila gently placed the lid back on the case. "Lila?" A woman's voice called. I cursed, holding goblet behind my back. "Are you in here?" She called again. "Hide, I'll get rid of her." She whispered. I hid behind a book case while Lila emerge from the shelves. I couldn't see them, but I heard them. "I'm here, Mom!" Lila said cheerfully. "Why are you here so late? It's so dark in here." The woman asked. "Oh I was just making sure everything was in place!" She lied.

"Well is it? Let me check."

"No need, Mom!" Lila said, I heard her shoes clacking against the floor, she was getting closer to the shelf. Lila must've stopped her as I heard the clacking come to halt a bit after. "It's okay, everything's in order."

"I'm sure, but I've lived here for ages. I can tell you if somethings out of place." The clacking resumed. My heartbeat quickened. "Mom, no!" Lila shouted. Then the room stilled and the air was light with shame. We were caught. "You lost an artifact?" Her mother asked. Lila grew quiet. Her mother sniffed the air, "is there someone in here?"

"No, mom." Lila replied, but her mother ignored her. She followed the scent and just as I knew she would, found me in no time. She grabbed my arm pulling me into the aisle with Lila. "Apollo James," she snarled. Under the faint light of the moon, I could see her face. She had the same dark eyes as Lila, Lady Elizabeth. "I should've known. You can't resist and opportunity to dishonor the gods, can you?" She growled, holding a blade to my throat, I leaned against the shelf as if I could escape it.