Teaser 1

SEVENTH WEEK OF THE FIRE SEASON; PA 356, SENDER: UNKOWN

...
Hey sweetheart! Somethings come up and they're extending my stay, but don't worry, we're so close to a breakthrough! I love you; I'll be back in time for your birthday my love.
...
MESSAGE END.

PRESENT DAY

Though it's been so long, I remember this feeling. Returning to Alluredry Prep is nothing short of a hassle. No, the packing, drawn out 'goodbyes' and 'I'll miss you's' or even the trip itself are not the problem. In fact, all those things I find quite enjoyable. There's something in each of those that even I can find pleasure in. However, the feeling of returning, that empty void that begins to tear itself open the closer we get to the building every year, just as the wilting season begins is what torments me. By the time we've made it to the school, it's the size of a sinkhole. Or at least, that's how it feels.

I fidget with the tassel of my cloak as I gazed out the carriage, watching the trees pass. Though I found the road trip to be the best part of the return, I couldn't deny that the new budget cuts were... less than bearable as they brought me face to face with angelic Apollo James. The angel was loud and talkative, ever so annoying he could not resist the opportunity to lightly kick me in the shins every time the carriage bumped against the gravel. Previously, for every day of travel, we were permitted to leave the carriage and stretch, look around, shop, eat, and rest. Our last stop was Lauravelle's Peak, the capital of the Country and there would not be another rest stop until we made it to our destination. That left me with a little over an hour left of misery in the cabin. Besides Apollo, there were two other kids. One mage, and another Angel who were giddy, excited to return to the building. I listened to their conversations about it, but could not bring myself to return the sentiment. There was much to love and even more to hate about Alluredry Prep.

A few soft taps against the roof of the cabin jolted me awake, all but Apollo had made their ways out the cabin and he stared over me, emotionless. I wiped at my eyes, opening the cabin door, I kicked my feet out and slid down the carriage. The door shut softly behind me as I made my way to Alluredry's large courtyard. It was decorated in wilted, orange leaves, the center fountain spouted no water, sat on a large circular courtyard, three paths leading to three different doors of the large castle-like structure. Students stood in the courtyard, mingling about. Ours was the last carriage to arrive, and they'd been waiting all day for the doors to open. Only ten more minutes to go.