12 - Land In Sight

"Stay on this ship as my Nakama for now, if you like that title. I do still expect you to follow my orders. You will follow extra rules, since.. " he took a deep breath and scratched the back of his head. "Well since you are extra."

Nakama?

His words touched me and I blushed a little. I felt much more safe in this room with Kid, now that I understood the situation.

"I will think about it." I said with a slight smile.

We left the room quietly and found Killer waiting in the Hallway. He seemed to be relieved I came out in one piece and walked up to us.
"So?" Is the only thing he said looking at both of us expecting an explanation or an update on our situation? "I will think about it." I smiled, guessing Killer had talked to Kid about this before. "Good", he said while putting an arm around my neck and patting my head. "Because I don't want to keep up with Heat or Kid being moody if you leave." Kid eyed me and Killer irritated and walked off.

"Grumpy Kid?" I said while freeing myself from Killer's grasp. "It's a little more complicated than that", Killer said with a chuckle. "But I like to see him struggle like this it's funny and it helps him grow so it's a win-win." I didn't really understand what exactly Killer meant by that but if it meant we could bully Kid a little without him exploding I would love to accompany him.  Killer and I walked upstairs to meet up with the Doc, my bandage had to be changed a day thrice and it was time. After Killer dropped me off at the infirmary he left. 

The sun started setting as I left the infirmary. It took us a little longer since I helped the doctor with some of the injured men from yesterday. The first person I noticed when I walked out was Wire standing at the railing. I walked up to him and leaned against the railing next to him. He gave me an uninterested side-eye and kept looking at the horizon. I did the same. It's not like I had to say something. I knew very well that Wire and I didn't have to talk. We didn't have to talk from the beginning and with him, the silence was always something pleasant. 

Nakama.

Kid asked me to join his crew. I liked the idea of being back on a ship, part of a crew. I missed the ocean. Even though I hated the time with Doflamingo I was a pirate non the less. The ocean was free and it was what every pirate longed for. Freedom. But joining Kid's crew would mean putting others in danger. It was a risk I couldn't take. I left Doflamingo three years ago because I couldn't risk the people close to me getting hurt. He was a brutal man who would stop at nothing to get what he wanted. And yet, there was a part of me that longed for a sense of belonging. I wanted to be part of a crew again. Part of a family. Kid scared me last night, and the similarities between him and Doflamingo shocked me. But in my fear, I forgot about their differences. Even if Kid had the exact same character as Doflamingo, their strength levels would still make a huge gap between their ranks. After all, Doflamingo was a Shichibukai, one of the strongest pirates in the world. But the truth was, the memories of my past still haunted me. I remembered the times I spent with Doflamingo's crew, the friends I made, and the sense of camaraderie I felt. But those memories were always tainted by the violence and cruelty that came with being a part of his crew.

And so, as I looked up at Wire and smiled sadly, I knew that it would be safer for everyone if I left them as soon as possible.

"We are stopping at an island tonight." I heard Wire say while staring into the distance. "It would be better if you stayed on the ship." He yawned while saying that. I could imagine Killer commanding him to look after me while we would go on land. "Are you tired of looking after me?" he looked at me with dark circles under his eyes. "That obvious huh?" I grinned and gave him a big nod. "Well everyone is going on land to have some fun. There are things on these islands we can't have on the ship.", he started. "Well at least not everyone", he said while eyeing me. "What do you mean?" I said perplexed. "He looked at me again. "I really don't envy Kid, you are annoying. Stay on the ship later I want to have my fun time to relax too."