10 - The Morning After

I managed to escape the devil and ran straight into the arms of a beast.

Kid dropped the corpse and started stomping towards me. I stumbled a few steps backwards in fear, but right before Kid could reach me someone from inside the room shut the door.

I stood in that dark hallway shooked. Was this the real Eustass Kid? The man the folks fear? The man is known for his brutality and blood lust. I was shaking and the pictures of his gaze driven by madness wouldn't leave my head. I missed the Kid I saw only just a night ago. The Kid that acted all cocky but pleasant. That majestic giant in the moonlight. The warm Kid the one that made me feel safe. Were that beast and Kid really the same person? I shook my head in disbelief.

The feeling of someone's ice-cold hand touching my shoulder ripped me out of my thoughts. I turned around fast as I was still tensed by the recent situation and was surprised to find Heat looking at me with a sad smile. I was relieved it was him because I surely was expecting something worse or more horrific. But I knew Heat was all about looking scary but being a gentle giant. "We should leave," he said quietly while he pushes me firmly but gently back to the sleeping quarters. I didn't resist a bit. It wasn't that I could run off anyways and I felt pretty tired, the day was long and I haven't had any rest. He took me to his room. Wire was sitting on a chair in a corner reading a book. He looked up from his book a nod towards us. Heat placed me on his bed. I felt like he could just push me around and I would fall if there wasn't any support. I felt drained by all the things that happened and felt stunned by the thought of what I saw earlier. I didn't want to fight back anymore and I didn't have the strength for it either. The next few minutes passed by pretty fast I was pretty absentminded and lost in my thoughts.

Heat had put some pillows and a blanket on the floor and made himself comfortable there. He had tried to talk to me but I couldn't find the words. I was sorry because I didn't want to ignore him, but I just didn't know what to say. Before Heat went to sleep and turned off the light, he smiled at me one last time. It was a pained smile and I could tell he was hurt. Wire was still sitting in the chair next to his bed. A candle gave him enough light to read in the dark. I couldn't tell how long it had been since Heat picked me up from Kid's cave. I just sat rigid in the room and watched the candle burn down over time. It must have been a while before Wire looked up at me and asked, "Are you going to sleep eventually?" I looked at him confused. "I'm tired, lie down." Then I understood what was going on. He had to look after me. That's why he didn't sleep all night. But I didn't react, I didn't want to and couldn't sleep. Whenever I closed my eyes, I saw Kid's eyes. The cold feeling of fear. It was driving me insane, I didn't want to believe Kid was anything like Doflamingo. I didn't want to and I couldn't. I was afraid. Not scared of dying but scared that I Kid wasn't who I thought he was. Those eyes were monstrous but different. Other than Doflamingo's. So enraged.

"Come on Y/N let's sleep. Killer will fuck me up if you're not feeling well tomorrow."

Y/N?

"You know my name?" My question left him puzzled for a second before he slowly understood what I meant.

"It wasn't the Doc's intention. Heat peppered him with questions to find out how you were doing and that's where he slipped." I look down at Heat. His chest falls and rises steadily. He looked very peaceful lying there. He must have really cared about me. A smile, probably as sad as Heat's, formed on my lips. I didn't know if that should make me happy or not. Did these men really care about me? What was I for Kid?

"Why?" that was the only thing I got out. Why was I still alive? Why did you protect me from Kid? Wire understood my question, which was open, quite well.

"I follow Killer's orders."

"What are Kid's orders?"

"He doesn't give orders in this state," he said and rolled his eyes as if that was a matter of course. We both were silent for a few seconds. Wire scratched the back of his head. "You saw it. In that state, he walks over corpses." He exhaled deeply and cleared his throat. "Not that he wouldn't otherwise. But it's different. What you saw, that's not kid..." He paused. "We all see him rarely like that..."