Chapter 6: One Night

It was late at night still, Diane sleeping in her bed when Ominis sat up, unable to sleep. He was still haunted by the screams Diane had made, feeling as if the sound was ringing in his head. He had tried desperately to try and get rest, but... it was no use.

He stood and decided to just get dressed, making his way over to the parlor where Sebastian sat at the table, reading one of Diane'a books she'd brought with her. Ominis sat down in the chair across from him with a deep sigh, holding his head in his hand in frustration.

"Can't sleep?" Sebastian asked quietly, not wanting to wake Diane.

"No, not at all." Ominis grumbled. "I keep hearing her scream, it's making me think of that time when I was younger."

"This wasn't your fault, Ominis." Sebastian knew very well how his friend tended to blame himself. A trait his family had unfortunately instilled in him.

"Yes it was, he's my brother, and he came after me. I don't possibly see how this isn't my fault." Ominis scoffed.

"Do you blame Diane for helping me in the scriptorium, and helping me get the relic?" Sebastian said cautiously.

"No, those were your decisions." Ominis said in a chill tone.

"It's the same thing." Sebastian said firmly.

Ominis was silent for a moment as he contemplated that, before letting out a sound of aggravation. "I really hate it when you make sense."

"It's a rare occurrence lately, at least." Sebastian said sarcastically.

There was a short silence as they both just sat in each others presence, Sebastian watching Ominis to try and get a hint of what he was thinking. Ominis was so difficult to read most of the time, his expressions usually a variety of calm, somewhat annoyed and sleeping. It drove him crazy sometimes how hard he was to figure out, but that's what had made him curious about Ominis when they first met, as well. He was one of the few people in the school he couldn't read well.

"One thing I've been curious about," Sebastian said, breaking the silence. "I understand completely why you would leave your family, but why is Diane here? Why didn't she go back home after the term was finished?"

Ominis let out a small thoughtful noise before answering. "I don't think it's my place to say, Sebastian. If you want that answer you'll have to ask her yourself. She does have her reasons, though. It's why we made this decision."

Sebastian seemed a bit miffed about the non-answer, but decided to let it go. He would have to ask Diane himself, then. "You know, for being around her so much during school I feel like I hardly know her sometimes." He sighed.

"We've known each other for five years, Sebastian. We've had a lot more time to get to know each other. You can hardly compare a year to that long. No matter how long you two traipsed about in dungeons and fought trolls."

"There were no dungeons." Sebastian rolled his eyes in amusement. "Plenty of caves, a few other... creepy places, but no dungeons."

"Either way, the point still stands. In daresay you were around her more than me this last year." Ominis huffed.

"Are you jealous or something?" Sebastian chuckled.

"No, but you were both keeping secrets from me. The only reason I found out about half the things you did is because Diane told me." Ominis crossed his arms in frustration. "We're supposed to be friends, Sebastian. Friends are supposed to trust each other."

"I know, I'm sorry." Sebastian sighed. "I just didn't want you to be upset with me."

"Secrets always have a way of blowing up in your face. You of all people should know that by now."