Chapter 22: Wilted

Ominis was reminded why he hated brooms. Flying with Sebastian was like having the world ripped from your feet and send catapulting into the unknown. He missed his flight on Highwing with Diane.

The thought of her missing like this sent him spiraling into anxiety again, hoping she was alright.

The flight to Feldcroft didn't last long, luckily, not with wthe speed Sebastian was taking to get there. They landed on the ground a bit hard, Ominis tumbling off the broom in surprise but gathering himself back up quickly to all but scramble up the hill toward the house.

"Diane?" He opened the door and flared his wand to look inside, going from room to room to search for any sign of her. "Damnit." He said in a wavering tone as it was clear she hadn't been here. Nothing was touched since they'd left for Hogwarts months ago.

He moved his wand over to the vase Diane had left on the table of the parlor, walking up to it to see flowers still there. He put his wand close to them, and they looked fine to his 'vision', but once he touched them they crumbled immediately under his fingers after remaining there so long. He gasped in shock, quickly taking his hand away so he wouldn't hurt them further.

He let out a wavering breath, taking a moment to lean against the table for support as he shuddered. He had never meant for this to happen. He had tried to do what he thought was best for Diane, not hurt her like this. He felt emotion welling up inside him, his fingers digging at the table beneath his hands as he tried to hold himself together. How could he be so cruel to her? How could he have done this to someone he loved so much?

"Damnit." He moaned softly, feeling tears fill his eyes, quickly wiping them away as best he could. He had to find her. He had to make this right. He just hoped he wasn't too late... if something happening to her right now it might kill him.

"She's not here?" Sebastian said softly from the doorway.

Ominis muttered in embarrassment and wiped his tears away again, turning around. "No, she's not." He said, his voice still gravelly with emotion.

"We'll find her, Ominis." Sebastian said resssuringly. "Can you think of anywhere else? What were important places to you two? Maybe she went there."

Ominis felt fresh tears well up at the thought that she'd escape to somewhere that was important to them. "Ugh." He muttered, turning around to wipe them away again.

Sebastian walked over to him and rubbed his back reassuringly, but stayed silent as Ominis fought to keep his emotions in check.

"Wait." Ominis said in realization, "I think I know a place." He said urgently, moving quickly for the doorway.

Poppy and Sebastian followed Ominis down the hill as he ran down the familiar path they'd taken since that first week at the house. She had mentioned wanting to come back here over Christmas break! This might be where she was!

He ran toward the cliffside where they'd watched the sun set over the ocean, seeing the familiar black expanse in front of him as he approached the end of the cliff. Was Diane somewhere in that darkness down there? He couldn't see, damnit! It was too far away!

"Diane!" He yelled desperately, listening carefully for a response but only heard the crashing of the ocean waves.

"You brought her here?" Sebastian said in surprise. It was where he had brought Ominis when they'd first became friends, along with Anne. To think that Ominis had thought this spot so important to bring Diane here... it was really touching.

"Yes, when we first came to Feldcroft." Ominis said, his voice pained. "She's not-" he heard something.

"I don't see her-"