Chapter 8: Rumors

I always find inspiration through music, so I thought I'd share some songs for each character. The songs will also change through the process of the story so I'll post again when it changes. Particularly Ominis and Sebastian.

Sebastian- In the Shadows by The Rasmus
Ominis- Better Days by goo goo dolls
Diane- out of the woods by Taylor swift

————-

Sebastian was still awake when they returned, looking up when they came into the door with bags of food.

"Uneventful trip, I hope?" He said with a small smile, though frowned when Ominis didn't answer or even acknowledge him. One night, indeed.

"It was just a trip into Feldcroft, so not too far." Diane answered with a smile. "Not much can happen between here and there."

"Enough can." Sebastian insisted. "But I'm glad it went well."

"I'll make some lunch for us if you two want to sit down." Diane said, hoping to give them a moment so they could ease the tension between them.

"I'll help. I need to practice my dicing." Ominis said, bringing his bag over to the small kitchen in the corner and reaching in to take things out, setting them on the table to start organizing them when he could feel what they were.

"He's still not going to talk to me, is he?" Sebastian said softly in a morose tone, watching Ominis.

"Give him time." Diane said gently, putting a hand reassuringly on Sebastian's arm before joining Ominis in the kitchen.

Ominis took out the roundest object he could find, feeling along the object until he found the roots and stem. "Aha, here it is." He said, recognizing the onion.

"Remember to watch your fingers this time, no need to rush." Diane chuckled, remembering the panic last time he'd accidentally cut his finger.

"Keep a wiggenweld potion at the ready." Ominis chuckled before getting started, moving slowly as he cut the onion stem off and cutting it in half.

"I'm impressed, Ominis. I'm not that good at cooking yet, though I've read a lot of cook books." Sebastian said, hoping to strike up a conversation again.

"I want to practice doing things so I don't have to be as dependent on others." Ominis explained, his tone less harsh than before as he peeled the outer skin off the onion.

"I see, well you're making good progress." Sebastian felt a bit uneasy about this awkward conversation, but remembered what he'd wanted to ask Diane. Or... well, what he was willing to ask in front of Ominis.

"Diane... you told me about your parents, but... can I ask why?" He couldn't understand them not wanting their own child home. Sure his parents had focused more on research than he and Anne but they'd at least been attentive.

"Well, before everything happened with my Hogwarts letter I didn't really show any signs of magic at all." She said softly, not liking to talk about it. "My family is very... um... well, they take a lot of pride in being powerful wizards and witches. A squib was a disgrace to them."

Sebastian frowned, realizing now why she'd been rather upset with him focusing on power so much. It had probably hit a bit close to home for her. Yet here she was the most powerful of them all. "They wouldn't take you back even after what happened this year?"

"I haven't told them, honestly." Diane shrugged. "I don't plan to, either. If they didn't want me with no magic why should they have me when I have ancient magic?"

Ominis smiled at that, finishing dicing the onion and moving on to a pepper.

"So we have you all to ourselves then." Sebastian chuckled softly.