Chapter 30: Masquerade

Diane felt her heart flutter wildly as she finished putting her hair up in the mirror in the bathroom. She was feeling more pretty than she ever had in her life while wearing this dress, the cream silk falling in gentle waves around her legs above the petticoats beneath. The corset lifted her bust to accentuate it more, and the soft ruffled sleeves hung over her shoulders gracefully. She truly felt like a princess in this dress, having never worn anything so feminine before.

She gave a soft turn in the mirror as she looked herself over in the mirror, her hair partially tied back but letting much of her curls hang free behind her.

She had her mask in hand as she wondered if Ominis was done changing in the bedroom, knocking on the bathroom door gently as she put the mask on.

"Done yet?" She asked softly.

"Yeah, come on out."

Diane stepped out of the bathroom and all but stopped in her tracks at the sight of him. He was dressed in a black outfit with gold scrolled embroidery along the cuffs and neckline, his hair slicked back as usual. The mask he wore was a fierce looking basilisk with long fangs that arched down to his chin. It would likely be an intimidating mask to most, but to her it looked... incredibly sexy.

"I... wow." She breathed in shock.

"That good, huh?" Ominis grinned from beneath his mask.

"Y-yeah." Diane stammered, blushing beneath her own mask.

He let out a deep chuckle and moved forward, his eyes flaring with a red glow beneath the mask as he stood in front of her to see her closer.

He reached up to trace the lines of her mask, his smile widening as he felt along the spiraled horn. "A unicorn?"

She nodded gently. "Yeah."

"A basilisk and a unicorn. We make quite a pair." He said in amusement.

"Yeah we do." She said in a dreamy tone, feeling like she might swoon in the moment when he took her hand and kissed the back of her palm.

"Let's get going, then." He said softly. He walked to the door and held his arm out in a crook for her to take, making her want to giggle wildly with excitement. She'd never been treated like this before, like she was a proper lady.

She took his arm as they walked out the door to Hogsmeade, opting to use floo powder to travel.

——————

Diane felt lighter than air as Ominis danced with her around the floor, the soft music playing in the background allowing them to move slowly and gracefully. She helped directing him with their clasped hands, tugging him slightly in different directions so they wouldn't run into other dancers on the floor. Dance after dance they spent together, and it felt like a dream.

"This next dance will be with someone who is not your chosen date, so please find a partner accordingly." The announcer said, their wand to their neck to project their voice over the large hall.

Diane frowned, not wanting to leave Ominis. She had come here with the intention of spending the dance with him, not someone else. "Ugh, I don't want to dance with anyone else." She murmured unhappily as Ominis released her from the last dance as it ended.

"Don't worry Diane, it's only one dance." Ominis said, sounding rather amused at how much she was pouting about it.

"Okay." She sighed, looking out to the crowd of people who mingled together to find partners.

"I promise I'll come back to you for the next dance, okay?" Ominis said softly.

"You better." She said with a wry little smirk. Or she'd come find him.