Chapter 12: Broken

The following days were filled with awkward silence between Sebastian and Diane, much to Ominis' annoyance. By the third day he'd had enough, all but cornering Sebastian in the kitchen so he couldn't worm out of the talk.

"What's going on with you two? You're both acting strange and it's really starting to annoy me." Ominis growled softly so Diane wouldn't hear.

"Nothing, it's fine!" Sebastian whispered back harshly. "You don't need to worry about it."

"Bullshit." Ominis hissed. "Something happened, and I want to know what it was."

Sebastian let out a deep sound of frustration. "I just... realized something, okay?" He admitted.

"And what exactly is that?" Ominis insisted.

"I think... I think I like her as more than a friend, alright? Happy?" Sebastian growled.

Ominis' face fell with the admission, his eyes going wide. He took a step back, staggering a bit as if he'd been hit. "You... you like her." He said weakly.

"Is it really that shocking?" Sebastian said in annoyance at his reaction.

"Well you have to admit it came out of the blue." Ominis grumbled, but he looked conflicted. "Did you tell her?"

"No, well... yes, sort of, but you know her, she doesn't understand subtle hints like that." Although the hint hadn't exactly been subtle.

"No... no she doesn't." Ominis said quietly. "So what, are you going to pursue her?"

"Pursue? Ominis, this isn't a hunt. If she wants it, then it'll happen. I don't want to... ruin anything." Sebastian said uneasily.

"And if she doesn't?" Ominis asked, his tone oddly sharp.

"Then I'll keep my mouth shut." Sebastian said, confused why Ominis was being so cold. Something dawned on him, and he looked sharply up to Ominis. "Wait- do you-"

"Stop." Ominis cut him off with an icy tone. "We both know that would never happen."

"Why not?" Sebastian scoffed.

"I'm a fucking Gaunt, Sebastian. I'm blind. I'm not exactly the catch of the century. If you like her, then you go for it."

"And what, you'll just watch? Ominis-"

"This doesn't change anything." Ominis insisted. "If you like her, then go for it. Don't worry about me."

Sebastian sighed in frustration. "You really are too hard on yourself, Ominis."

"I'm just being practical, Sebastian." He said in a sad tone. "I realized this years ago, it's nothing new for me."

Years ago? When they'd first started school? "Ominis. You can't just-"

"Shut it, Sebastian." Ominis hissed. "Just take things for what they are for once. You don't need to fix everything. Some things will always be broken, no matter what you do."

Sebastian was shocked at his words, but frowned. Broken? What the hell did he mean by that?

"We will not speak of this again, hear me?" Ominis glared toward him. "Don't try to bother me about fixing what I know can't be fixed."

"Alright." Sebastian held his hands up defensively at the hostile tone. "I get it." He didn't like seeing Ominis like this, he was obviously hurting but there was nothing he could do about it. It was pretty obvious that nothing he could say would change his mind.

"Listen to me-" Ominis moved forward, putting his wand inches from Sebastian's face so he could see his expression. "You're going to act like nothing happened. You're going to act like you don't know about this around Diane, or so help me Sebastian I will never speak to you again. Don't mess this up."