Chapter 45: Patronus

Back in defense against the dark arts, Hecat was watching the class patiently as they did their patronus charms again.

Ominis stepped forward, his heart thrumming anxiously in his chest. He had been practicing in his spare time, and he had almost done it... he was so close. He had to think harder, to concentrate on the moment he had in his head.

Diane wrapped her arms around him, and for the first time he felt a warm embrace from another. It felt different from when Sebastian had hugged him before. This was so much more comforting, as if he could lose himself in the warmth that spread through him. At the time it had scared him, confused him. Why would she do this? But she had just wanted to comfort him when he was upset. That was all. There were no ulterior motives, just wanting him to feel better.

That moment when he'd wrapped his arm around her, took that daring step to try and return the sentiment... that had cemented his feelings for her. She was warm and soft, and wanted nothing more than to see the people around her happy. The world had been so cruel to them both, yet they could find joy in each other.

He felt power flare in his wand and held it tight in his hand.

Don't be a snake. Don't be a snake. Don't be a snake. He chanted the words in his head. He didn't want to be like his family. He was different. He rejected their views, and would make his own path in life.

Silvery streams shot out from the end of his wand, a bright flash of magic making his wand-vision blur for a moment as it overwhelmed his senses. Something appeared within the bright ball of light, shooting out from the center in a flash.

Feathers. Talons. The golden eagle that flapped its wings proudly shot toward the dummies before him with a fierce lashing of its claws, prepared to rip apart any darkness that stood in its way.

He was so shocked by the sight of the creature in his wand-vision that it dissipated, leaving him standing in silence.

"Very good, Mr. Gaunt!" Hecat said proudly. "A golden eagle, hmm? How interesting."

A predator that consumed snakes.

Sebastian clapped Ominis on the shoulder proudly as he passed him in line, Diane rushing out of line partially to speak with him happily as Sebastian stepped to the front.

He was nervous. He still hadn't been able to cast more than a shield, either. He thought about the memory he'd been using, but it was difficult to decide. What was his happiest memory? When he'd first learned to cast a spell? When he'd had his first duel? Making friends with Ominis?

Did he have to decide?

He gritted his teeth and raised his wand, trying to concentrate as much as he could.

Anne chasing him around the fields in Feldcroft, happy and healthy as they played tag.

Ominis smiling for the first time at one of his terrible jokes, shaking his head as he called him the dumbest friend ever. But he'd called him a friend.

Fighting alongside Diane, magic arching through the air as they both worked together to contain the corrupted magic. Their eyes meeting in a moment that had made his heart hammer in his chest. That was the moment he suddenly knew his place. To stay by her side and help her in her duty as a keeper.

Silver light burst in wild swirls from the end of his wand, filling the area around him. It swirled and condensed into a ball before fangs leapt out from the center, the cobra's hood flaring as it arched long fangs toward its enemies. It twisted and turned in the air toward the dummies, striking at all in its path.