Chapter 33: The Black Serpent

Diane collapsed as her determination to fight left with her thoughts, strong arms catching her as she fell.

"Ssssshhh, there you go, lay down." A soft voice said soothingly as he gently laid her down on the ground.

"Make sure no one else comes in here while I'm still here, secure the back tunnels in case they get through the backup." He said with a firm voice to those around him, the others running into the back of the cave with the directions. One of them hesitated, watching the scene with hard eyes behind his mask.

"That includes you, Talon." He said firmly, waiting until Talon had started for the back tunnels as well before directing his attention back to Diane.

"I'm sorry I had to do that to you flower, but I'm not done yet." Sebastian said softly, looking down at her serene expression as she looked up at him. Even though the imperius curse she gave a soft smile at the sound of his voice. It made his heart beat wildly in his chest, but he ignored it.

"I can't have you trying to stop me. Not when I'm so close." He reached down to brush a lock of her curls from her face, alarmed when he saw the blood dripping from her nose. "You overdid it again." He said in frustration, wiping the blood away with the edge of his sleeve.

"What I wouldn't give to keep you mine forever." He sighed, stroking her cheek. "But it's your mind I love, and your heart. Plus Ominis would hunt me down like a dog." He smiled sadly. "I know I would, if someone took you from me like that."

He sighed in frustration, shaking his head, "Tell me, how is Ominis doing?" He asked, knowing he was likely angry with him.

"He's upset. He misses you, we're both worried about you." Diane answered in a strangely monotone voice.

"Now, there's no need for worry. I have things under control." Sebastian chuckled. "I hope you know I'm doing this for your sake, Diane. I can't risk you getting mixed up in this. It's too dangerous for you... and everyone else, frankly." He said flatly. He couldn't help but touch her again, sliding his finger delicately along her jaw. "I enjoyed our dance." He said softly. "I'll treasure it... because I'm sure you and Ominis will be angry at me again after this. It had to be done, though. I couldn't have those ashwinders torturing you like they were planning."

He still remembered the moment he'd heard the plan, the fury and anger that had exploded inside him. They were debating whether to imperio her into doing what they wanted with this repository they'd found, or to crucio her into submission. They had even debated taking he or Ominis as hostage for their goals, and that's when he had decided on his plan. That night, sneaking around the ashwinder camp, listening carefully even while he felt the mud caking his body and making his moves sluggish. He had to hear everything, he had to make sure exactly what their plan was so he could counter it. And counter it he had.

Starting The Forsaken had been fairly easy. It was a bit alarming how willing people were to join a group like this. As long as you could convince them it was for the good of the area, most agreed readily to following him. Luckily no one knew who he was because of the masks, an idea he'd adopted from the ashwinders for anonymity.

No, the hard part had been juggling The Forsaken and school. It was in Hecat's class when she had turned toward him with such a cold, calculating look when he realized the decision he would have to make. His goal or his future career. Protecting Diane and Ominis, or his own well-being.

It was hardly even a choice, for him.

He hated keeping it secret from them, but he knew if they found out his plan, they would try and stop him. He wasn't tampering with ancient dark magic relics anymore. He wasn't trying to break into Slytherin scriptoriums to steal dark spell books. He was trying to save Diane from torture. Isn't that a more noble goal? He just hoped they understood when he could eventually tell them.