Chapter 22: Inner Turmoil

It all happened so fast.

I remember my sister being pinned to the ground by Bravenwolf, and the two of them seemed to have been caught up in a serious discussion. From the position I was in, I could not hear a single word they were exchanging. But between the incessant voice in my head and the reactions of everyone else in the battlefield, it didn't take a genius to realize their conversation was anything but good.

I attempted to inch closer to catch even a fragment of what they were saying, but before I could even think about moving, Bravenwolf was charging at Venetta with a speed and fury I'd never witnessed. It sincerely looked as if my sister would be destroyed, but by some miracle, Bravenwolf and the other knights had vanished into thin air before the final blow landed.

It didn't take long for the others to recover from the initial shock. My father commanded his troops to head back to the base as they were no longer needed with the knights gone. The Corekai had retreated as well, and the fortress was ours for the taking. I watched as my father and his two top soldiers made their way towards the entrance to the massive structure, wielding the key they had obtained from my sister. I wanted to join them, but I was still trapped in these thick wires that were cutting into my armor. It hurt, though I didn't care much. Thankfully Dromus and Sylvia came over and began to undo the restraints. As they worked on cutting the wires, something (a memory?) flashed in my mind.

I flew backwards, and was stuck between two rocks. Bravenwolf and Tributon were running towards me, but another beam was fired and they both fell off. They started zooming down the mountain. Before long, they ended up on the ground, already engaged in a battle with Vilius's most powerful army members, Granox and Slyger. It was going well at first, but then things got a little out of hand. Bravenwolf and Tributon were getting beat into scrap metal. I felt so useless here, trapped. I struggled to get loose. Just then, I saw something green standing in front of me.

"Need help?" he asked.

I gave a little nod, and he used his strong arms and threw the rocks to the side. He helped me up.

I started blushing.

"Hey, thanks, um," I said.

"Valorn," he said, grinning. He was blushing too.

"Oh, thanks, Valorn. I'm Clawda, and um thanks for helping me get out."

"No problem. Now let's go kick some bot!"

I laughed. That made him smile.

"Valorn..." I mumbled, my heart twinging. "Tox..s.a."

"What? Did you say something?" Dromus asked, turning to me.

What was that? I shook my head, noticing that my vision was getting a little fuzzy. "N-no, don't worry about it. Just feeling a little out of it. Probably from these stupid wires cutting off my circulation."

Dromus and Sylvia exchanged a look, but didn't say anything else. Once the wires were completely removed, they positioned themselves on each side of me, supporting my weight as we made our way down to the fortress's entrance.

I wish I could've said good news awaited us, but it was actually the opposite. I saw my father seething as he stared at the blocked door.

"How could this be?" he yelled, slamming his scepter on the ground. "We have the key, and yet the fortress's power is still unobtainable?"

"What's going on?" I asked, straining to look up.

"Well you see, we tried to open the fortress using the Tenkai Stone," Slyger began, "but all it did was attach itself to the base and transform. It didn't open it at all."