2: percy is beyond confused

🇨 🇭 🇦 🇵 🇹 🇪 🇷  🇹 🇼 🇴  ༄⁂

PERCY WAS TALKING IT VERY WELL FOR A NEW CAMPER, half of the people usually paled at the sight of ghosts. Chiara didn't mind them at all and neither did Percy by the looks of it.

Shimmering purple warriors stood outside the armory, polishing ethereal swords. Others hung out in front of the barracks. A ghostly boy chased a ghostly dog down the street. And at the stables, a big glowing red dude with the head of a wolf guarded a herd of unicorns.

It definitely wasn't your everyday stuff.

None of the campers paid the ghosts much attention, but as Chiara's entourage walked by, with Reyna in the lead and Frank, Percy and Hazel on either side, all the spirits stopped what they were doing and stared at Percy. A few looked angry. The little boy ghost shrieked something like "Greggus!" and turned invisible.

Now that wasn't normal either but for other reasons.

"Am I seeing things?" Percy, who till then pretended as if he was invisible, asked "Or are those-"

"Ghosts?" Hazel turned. She had startling eyes, like fourteen-karat gold. "They're Lares. Huse gods."

"House gods," Percy said. "Like...smaller than real gods, but larger than apartment gods?"

"They're ancestral spirits," Frank explained removing his helmet and revealing his babyish face.

"The Lares are kind of like mascots," Chiara chimed in. "Mostly they're harmless, but I've never seen them so agitated."

"They're staring at me," Percy said. "That ghost kid called me Greggus. My name isn't Greg."

"Graecus," Hazel said. "Once you've been here awhile, you'll start understanding Latin. Demigods have a natural sense for it. Graecus means Greek."

"Is that bad?" Percy asked.

Frank cleared his throat. "Maybe not. You've got that type of complexion, the dark hair and all. Maybe they think you're actually Greek. Is your family from there?"

"Don't know. Like I said, my memory is gone."

"Or maybe..." Frank hesitated.

"What?" Percy asked.

"Probably nothing," Frank said. "Romans and Greeks have an old rivalry. Sometimes Romans use graecus as an insult for someone who's an outsider-an enemy. I wouldn't worry about it."

He sounded pretty worried but to be fair most demigods would be at least a little worried about it.

"Yeah... I'm sure it's nothing." Hazel reassured him "I think I've heard them call Chie that from time to time". Chiara immediately felt cautious at the mention of her name; it was true she had been called a greek by the Lares many times. It had troubled Reyna a few times but Dakota and Jason had pressured her to drop it.