19 : chiara is an emotional wreck

🇨 🇭 🇦 🇵 🇹 🇪 🇷 🇳 🇮 🇳 🇪 🇹 🇳 ༄⁂

ONE LOOK OUT THE WINDOW, and Chiara knew they were in trouble.

At the edge of the lawn, the Laistrygonians were stacking bronze cannonballs. Their skin gleamed red. Their shaggy hair, tattoos, and claws didn’t look any prettier in the morning light.

Some carried clubs or spears. A few confused ogres carried surfboards, like they’d shown up at the wrong party. All of them were in a festive mood—giving each other high fives, tying plastic bibs around their necks, breaking out the knives and forks. One ogre had fired up a portable barbecue and was dancing in an apron that said KISS THE COOK.

The scene would’ve been almost funny, except  Chiara knew she would be the main course.

The morning hadn't started well, Percy kept glaring at her and being passive aggressive everytime she would address him, Hazel informed her of the Laistrygonians and she met Frank’s grandmother who couldn't be described as friendly. Chiara was trying to stay calm and collected but she was emotionally and physically drained.

Frank’s grandmother sent them to the attic where they apparently were keeping weapons.
The attic was full of weapons. His family had collected enough ancient armaments to supply an army. Shields, spears, and quivers of arrows hung along one wall—almost as many as in the Camp Jupiter armory. At the back window, a scorpion crossbow was mounted and loaded, ready for action. At the front window stood something that looked like a machine gun with a cluster of barrels.

After that they decided to move towards the roof in order to observe the ogres. Percy held his sword in one hand and a garden hose in the other, every time the giants sent up a cannonball, Percy summoned a high-powered blast of water and detonated the sphere in midair. Ella stayed downstairs as she was too scared of the ogres, she ended up alerting Frank who joined them.

“Morning,” Percy said grimly. “Beautiful day, huh?”

Hazel patrolled the widow’s walk between the two attic gables. She gripped her sword. When she glanced at Frank, who was looking at her like it was impossible for him to look away, her eyes flashed with concern. “Are you okay?” she asked. “Why are you smiling?”

“Oh, uh, nothing,” he managed. “Thanks for breakfast. And the clothes. And…not hating me.”

Hazel looked baffled. “Why would I hate you?”

“It’s just…last night,” he stammered. “When I summoned the skeleton. I thought…I thought that you thought…I was repulsive ... or something.”

Hazel raised her eyebrows. She shook her head in dismay. “Frank, maybe I was surprised. Maybe I was scared of that thing. But repulsed? The way you commanded it, so confident and everything—like, Oh, by the way, guys, I have this all-powerful spartus we can use. I couldn’t believe it. I wasn’t repulsed, Frank. I was impressed.”