10: matchmaking and grain kidnappers

🇨 🇭 🇦 🇵 🇹 🇪 🇷  🇹 🇪 🇳 ༄⁂CHIARA SPENT ABOUT TWO HOURS trying to persuade Frank and Percy that Hazel was okay and that they shouldn't wake her

CHIARA SPENT ABOUT TWO HOURS trying to persuade Frank and Percy that Hazel was okay and that they shouldn't wake her. Of course, Hazel looked so pale it was like she had died for a fucking second time and the moment they touched ground, the two boys refused to let her 'sleep' any longer. Frank kneeled in from of Hazel and began shaking her.

"Hazel!" Frank said sounding panicked. "Come on, please! Wake up!"

She opened her eyes. She was lying on solid ground, her bundled sword and pack beside her. They were on a cliff overlooking a beach. About a hundred feet away, the ocean glinted in the moonlight. The surf washed gently against the stern of their beached boat. To her right, hugging the edge of the cliff, was a building like a small church with a search light in the steeple, probably a lighthouse. Behind them, fields of tall grass rustled in the wind.

"Where are we?" Hazel asked.

Frank exhaled. "Thank the gods you're awake! We're in Mendocino, about a hundred and fifty miles north of the Golden Gate."

"A hundred and fifty miles?" Hazel groaned. "I've been out that long?"

Percy knelt beside her, the sea wind sweeping his hair. He put his hand on her forehead as if checking for a fever. "We couldn't wake you. Finally we decided to bring you ashore. We thought maybe the seasickness-"

"I tried to stop them," Chiara said with an apologetic frown. "I told them that how you look when sleeping and that it is impossible to wake you."

"Sœur, it's fine. Guys, I-I haven't been honest with you," she said. "What happened was a blackout. I have them once in a while."

"A blackout?" Frank took Hazel's hand, which startled her...not in a bad way, Chiara assumed. "Is it medical? Why haven't I noticed before?"

"I try to hide it," she admitted. "I've been lucky so far, but it's getting worse. It's not medical...not really. Nico says it's a side effect from my past, from where he found me. Chiara had tried to consult our father once and he didn't know how to ease them."

"Where exactly did Nico find you?" Percy asked, his intense green eyes were hard to read. She couldn't tell whether he was concerned or wary. Chiara immediately turned towards Hazel, asking a silent question; Do you want me to cover for you? When Hazel shook her head, Chiara backed away a little.

I'll explain," she promised. She clawed through her pack. "Is...is there anything to drink?"

"Yeah. Gamoto." Percy muttered a curse in Greek. "That was dumb. I left my supplies down at the boat."

"Never mind. I can walk...." Chiara felt like pulling the protective sister card before someone else got the job.

"Don't even think about it," Frank said. "Not until you've had some food and water. I'll get the supplies."