17: an alliance with Reyna's sister

🇨 🇭 🇦 🇵 🇹 🇪 🇷 🇸 🇪 🇻 🇪 🇳 🇹 🇳 ༄⁂

CHIARA CONSIDERED BRIBING the amazons somehow into letting them go, but unfortunately she had no idea how they could be of use to them. Even if she did, Chiara didn’t trust Queen Hylla, and she certainly didn’t trust that other lady, Otrera. Hazel and her could make a run for it, only three guards were left in the room. All of them kept their distance. However it wasn't worth risking it, not yet anyway.

Hylla was armed with just a dagger. This deep underground, Hazel might be able to cause an earthquake in the throne room, or summon a big pile of schist or gold. If Chiara could cause a distraction, they might be able to escape and find their friends. Signaling her thoughts to the younger girl would be impossible without one of them being telepathic and sadly both had different powers. Ones that Chiara could also try using, an army of skilled skeletons could come in handy right now. Or black fog to confuse the Amazons, or even shadow traveling. Still all of those were extremely power and energy consuming, the right timing was crucial.

She’d seen the Amazons fight. Even though the queen had only a dagger, Chiara suspected she could use it pretty well, that was of course if Hylla was anything like her sister. And although Chiara could form her sword from black mist, she couldn't guarantee she'd have it soon enough or that she could beat Hylla with it without her and Hazel getting hurt.

The queen seemed to be reading her thoughts. “Forget about escape. Of course, we’d respect you for trying. But we’d have to kill you.”

“Thanks for the warning.”

Hylla shrugged. “The least I can do. I believe you come in peace. I believe Reyna sent you.”

“But you won’t help?” Hazel assumed.

The queen studied the necklace she’d taken from Percy. “It’s complicated,” she said. “Amazons have always had a rocky relationship with other demigods—especially male demigods. We fought for King Priam in the Trojan War, but Achilles killed our queen, Penthesilea. Years before that, Hercules stole Queen Hippolyta’s belt—this belt I’m wearing. It took us centuries to recover it. Long before that, at the very beginning of the Amazon nation, a hero named Bellerophon killed our first queen, Otrera.”

“You mean the lady—”

“—who just left, yes. Otrera, our first queen, daughter of Ares.”

“Mars?”

Chiara corrected for Hylla. “No, Ares. Otrera lived long before Rome, in a time when all demigods were Greek.”

The queen nodded with a sour face. "Unfortunately, some of our warriors still prefer the old ways. Children of Ares…they are always the worst.”

“The old ways…” Hazel sounded confused, she had heard all the rumours about the scheming, evil greeks. Of course, she didn't even believe greek half-bloods existed much less that they were wicked. Chiara had no idea how Hazel would react if she ever found out the truth about Nico and herself. “You mean the Amazons are a mix…Greek and Roman?”