4: Sibling catching up time

🇨 🇭 🇦 🇵 🇹 🇪 🇷    🇫 🇴 🇺 🇷  ༄⁂"YOU TWO KNOW HIM, don't you" Hazel said

🇨 🇭 🇦 🇵 🇹 🇪 🇷  🇫 🇴 🇺 🇷  ༄⁂
"YOU TWO KNOW HIM, don't you" Hazel said.

They sat on the roof of Pluto's shrine, which was covered with bones and diamonds. As far as Chiara knew, the bones had always been there. The diamonds were Haze's fault. If she sat anywhere too long, or just got anxious, they started popping up all around her like mushrooms after a rain. Several million dollars' worth of stones glittered on the roof, but fortunately the other campers wouldn't touch them. They knew better than to steal from temples-especially Pluto's-and the fauns never came up here.

Nico swung his feet like a little kid and rested his head on his older sister's shoulder. His and Chiara's Stygian iron swords lay by his side, next to Hazel's spatha. He gazed across the valley, where construction crews were working in the Field of Mars, building fortifications for tonight's games.

"Percy Jackson." He said the name like an incantation. "Hazel, I have to be careful what I say. Important things are at work here. Some secrets need to stay secret. You of all people-you should understand that."

Hazel's cheeks felt hot. "But he's not like...like me?"

"No, tesoro don't worry," Chiara said. "I'm sorry we can't tell you more. We can't interfere. Percy has to find his own way at this camp. There has to be a greater cause for his not having his memories."

"Is he dangerous?" she asked.

Nico managed a dry smile. "Very. To his enemies. But he's not a threat to Camp Jupiter. You can trust him."

"Like I trust you," Hazel said bitterly.

Nico twisted his skull ring. Around him, bones began to quiver as if they were trying to form a new skeleton. Whenever he got moody, Nico had that effect on the dead, just like Chiara.

"Haze, Percy is a good guy and above all his loyal. I'm not sure you should trust him as much as you trust us but he wouldn't hurt you. You can rely on him" Chiara assured her sister trying to ease her curiosity.

"Look, I know this is hard," Nico said. "But you have a second chance. You can make things right."

"Nothing about this is right," Hazel said. "If they find out the truth about me-"

"They won't," Nico promised. "They'll call a quest soon. They have to. You'll make me proud. Trust me, Bi-"He caught himself.

But the almost mention of Bianca was already enough to stop time. It was difficult to hear him mention her, especiallywhen she knew that she compared Hazel with Bianca herself at times. She couldn't even think how hard this must have been for Hazel. The only thought her brain could process was stuff related to her sister whose death she still hadn't gotten over. It took her about a year and a half to stop blaming herself for it, for not protecting her better at that quest. The death itself still hurt, Chiara was sure it never would, she just learned to live with it. She felt her eyes slightly burn, a sign that tears would soon fall. Fortunately, she didn't have to focus on it for long since Nico talked again.