Bad decision

Heartbeats cap 6-

Joe's POV

– Damn, I hate this!– I turn off the alarm, settle for 3:30am,  and slip into a pair of jeans and the first T-shirt I found on the floor. It's not ideal, but I'm running out of clean clothes and I haven't had time to go to the laundry. 

I have to pay someone to clean my apartment but it's been difficult finding time to hire someone when I barely stay at home. My job is a nightmare sometimes because it's hard to figure out how to be a social human being and being a surgical intern. 

I hate being up this early, but It's my chance to check on all admissions and choose a case to impress my resident.

Ok, I know  I'm slowly being recognized after the appendicectomy a month ago, but still I only got into 2 surgeries this week. I came here to be the best intern of my class, just like I was the best student at Med School, but that spoiled blonde princess is challenging my leadership.

At first I found her funny, trying to compete with me, but it turned out to be annoying when I realized that she is really good. She really deserved to be there with me in that OR and this is a hard pill to swallow, and I believe she feels the same way about me, so we are having small conversations, polite conversations, but eventually we bicker because we are 2 eagles who always want to win. 

I don't see any problem with a girl being good at surgery, I just can't let a girl be better than me and steal my chance to be a favorite intern for my teachers. The way we pass through this program will determine our futures as surgeons. We all are going to need really good recommendation letters from them if we want to enter a great hospital as junior attendants. I know it seems selfish, but that's just how it works on our job. 

After grabbing some coffee I head to my car and go to the hospital, hoping I get a good case today.

But when I park and get out of the car, who is getting out of her car too? If you thought about the spoiled princess you are correct.  

– What the hell are you doing here?!– I scream with her. 

– Probably the same thing you are trying to do. -- she rolls her eyes at me.– I didn't even enter an OR this week, my patients died before surgery or got better, so shut the hell up. 

– I swear to God if you stole a good case from me things aren't going to be easy for you. – I say in a crap mood and enter the hospital and I can see she's almost running trying to follow me, which makes me smirk. 

– Come on, daddy princess, you can do better!– I say, laughing my ass out, but to my surprise she start to rum and grab my arm with angry, making me look at her: 

– Never again call me Daddy Princess, are you listening to me? Never!– she screams at me, fuming with anger, and enters the hospital, leaving me absolutely dumbfounded. 

"What the hell was that…", I found myself thinking. Maybe she has family problems… If this is the case I should apologize to her, but I'm a proud guy and could never admit that I'm curious about her personal life now. 

I ran to get on the elevator with her and I'm impressed with her self control. At this point any other girl would be screaming at me, or looking at me at least, telling me I'm ridiculous or something. She just ignores my existence like she did that whole day during the stitches competition. She's probably focused on getting out of the elevator first and grabbing the medical files within a blink of an eye. 

Well, I guess I'm not getting this over without a fight. I want the best case too, and I need time to read every case and decide who's the coolest or the rarest surgery.