Chapter 20

𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜 𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈 𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐨𝐲!🤭

You slowly open your eyes, blinking away the haze of sleep that had been weighing down on you for what felt like an eternity. You sat up and looked around the room, taking in your surroundings.

You feel a sense of confusion and disorientation, wondering how you ended up here. As you try to piece together what happened, you suddenly remember the dungeon, your uncle, Vanitas and Noé coming to your rescue and fainting as Vanitas carried you out of the dungeon, but after that, everything is a blur. You vaguely recall Amelia, the maid, taking care of you and bandaging your wounds, but the details are hazy.

As you try to get out of bed, you realize that your body feels surprisingly light and free of pain. You glance down at your arms and legs, which are covered in bandages, but even that didn't hurt as much as you'd expect.

You notice a small vase of flowers on the bedside table, and you reach out to touch them, feeling the soft petals under your fingers. The fragrance fills your nose, and you breathe in deeply.

Just then, the door creaks open, and you turn to see Amelia, entering the room. She smiles when she sees you awake.

"Thank goodness you're awake!" she exclaims, rushing over to your bedside. "How do you feel?"

"I feel okay," you say, still trying to process everything that happened.

"That's good to hear," Amelia says. "You had a terrible fever for a few days. But don't worry, Vanitas and I took great care of you. He stayed by your side the whole time, making sure you were comfortable and changing the cold cloths on your forehead to keep your temperature steady, he even bought you some flowers. Noé wanted to help to but Vanitas wouldn't let him because in his opinion he did everything wrong", she chuckled.

You let out a smile but, as you hear that Vanitas stayed by your side and took care of you, you feel a warm sensation in your chest. You're surprised and taken aback by his kindness and the depth of his concern for you. It's not what you expected from him after his prior dismissive behavior towards you.

"How long was I out?" you ask Amelia.

"You've been asleep on and off for a week," she replies. "But you needed the rest to recover from your injuries."

Suddenly a knock on the door and before Amelia could get up to answer it, Vanitas walks in. His eyes widen in surprise as he sees you sitting up in bed, looking much better than the last time he saw you. Relief flashes across his face, but he quickly masks it with a casual expression.

"Hey," he says, walking over to you. "How are you feeling?"

You can't help but notice the slight tremble in his voice, and it's clear that he's been worried about you. Despite his attempts to appear nonchalant, you can see the relief in his eyes.

"I'm feeling much better, thanks to you and Amelia," you say, offering him a small smile.

Amelia takes the hint and excuses herself, giving you and Vanitas some privacy. As soon as she leaves the room, Vanitas pulls up a chair and sits down next to your bed.

''A-are you hungry? I bought some croissants for you or I ca-''

''Why are you so confusing Vanitas...'' Your voice is filled with frustration and uncertainty as you look at Vanitas. You've been through so many ups and downs with him, and his recent display of care and concern for you has only added to the mixed emotions swirling inside of you. You can't help but feel frustrated at his inconsistent behavior, and you want to know where you stand with him.