Syv

A bit later, after dinner, a maid came to their quarters. Freya had her hand on the Dragonfang, but stood down. "Your Highness, the Allfather and the Allmother wish to see you. Alone," the maid added. Loki swallowed a lump back in his throat, they were the last people he wanted to see. "Very well."

Loki stepped down into the throne room where the Allfather and the Allmother were seated. "Father," he said fervently. The Allmother stepped forward. "Loki, please--"

"Let him speak," the Allfather interrupted. "I have no words except venomous ones for you. Mother, I mean no ill will towards you," Loki said. The Allmother relaxed in her seat as the Allfather cleared his throat. "My son, the Light Elves have learned of your...heritage. They have called off the marriage." Loki widened his eyes. "They--but they will declare war!" He responded.

"They have not yet. You are dismissed."

Loki turned pink and stormed off towards his quarters. He slammed the door and Freya squeaked in surprise. "Sorry," he said quickly. "Don't be. It's me who should be sorry, I just get easily frightened."

"Pardon me for asking this, but is that why it's only your mother and sister go out?"

"I used to reap, but on the last reaping mission my emotions got the best of me. I still have my reaping mare but I only go visit her."

Loki nodded in understanding. "Would you like to talk about what happened with the Allfather?" Freya worded it carefully because she knew Loki wasn't keen to calling the Allfather 'Father' at the moment. Loki took a deep inhale, looking as if he was going to tell her, then said, "No thank you." Freya turned red in the cheeks. She wasn't sure why, though.

Freya exhaled softly and asked, "Would you like anything else? For me to do anything--"

"I just need you here with me, please."

Freya blushed. That was...unexpected. She sat next to Loki on his bed and he gently placed his large hand on top of her small one. Freya's heart about stopped when he intertwined his fingers with hers. "I'm sorry. For everything," Freya whispered.

"It's out of your control. I wouldn't worry about it."

Freya paused, contemplating what to say next. "Would you like to go to the library a bit early?" She asked. Loki seemed to lighten up a bit at that. "Yes. Yes I would, my Valkyrie." They walked together to the library and went to his reading nook. In a change, Loki sat next to Freya on a loveseat. He caught himself staring for a moment and quickly looked away.

After a few hours, Loki decided he was growing tired and went back to his quarters, Freya trailing behind him. He sat up in his bed, startling Freya a bit. "What? What's wrong?" She asked quickly. "There's a ball tomorrow. Azalena was supposed to attend with me but since...that, I have nobody to--"

"If you wish for me to go, I will go with you."

Freya was still wondering why Loki was speaking of the Light Elf Princess as he was. Loki turned pink and asked, "Won't Odin be mad?" Freya shrugged. "We'll make up some bullshit excuse. Like, that I'm your Valkyrie and you need 24/7 protection." Loki nodded and responded, "Well, in that case first thing tomorrow, you'll need a dress."

"I have dresses."

"I mean like a princess-worthy dress. People will look down on you if you wear your Valkyrie dresses."

Freya nodded and tucked herself under the covers. She soon fell asleep with the relief that Loki was feeling somewhat alright.

The next morning, Loki had disappeared off to someplace. He wasn't in the palace, Freya made sure of that, and he wasn't on the grounds. She felt a bit concerned that her Prince had went missing, but she washed those thoughts away with the realization that he probably needed his space.

A few hours later, around lunch, she saw him disappear to his quarters with a large bag in hand. He had obviously been to the marketplace out in Dünar Village, but what did he get? Freya left the lunch table and dashed upstairs.

She saw him putting a dress away into her wardrobe. "Oh my Norns," she said a bit too loudly. Loki startled and replied, "You--did you see me going upstairs?" He asked, catching his breath. "I did. Who is that dress for?" Freya asked, playing dumb. Loki flushed and said, "It's...it's meant to be for you." He took the dress out and Freya examined it. It was a beautiful dark green dress, obviously with Loki's colors.

F

F

reya shook her head. "N-no. You really shouldn't have--" Loki held up a hand to stop her. "Yes, I did. Please, will you escort me to the ball tonight?" Freya nodded, maybe a bit too quickly. "Yes. It would be my honor."