Ni

The next morning, Loki found Freya sitting on the terrace. "Freya?" He quietly asked. "Loki--" she choked, tears filling her eyes. "What's wrong? Be honest," he replied.

"My mom and sister, they summoned me early when you were still asleep. They're threatening to tell the Allfather about whatever we have going on here."

"But there's nothing--"

"I might get my wings clipped, Loki."

His eyes widened in horror. Loki, for the first time, hugged her. Actually hugged her. "I don't want it--I can't lose everything I have."

"You won't. I promise you, my Valkyrie, you won't."

"How do you know?" Freya asked, uneasy. "I am a Prince of Asgard. I won't let him do it." Freya tucked her head into his chest and closed her eyes. And she did what she wanted to do least--she began to cry.

Freya quickly composed herself and looked up at her green-eyed Prince. "I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to see me like this--"

"I don't care, Freya."

She paused. "Wait, what?" Loki smiled sadly and replied, "I said I don't care. If there's anything I've learned it's that you should never hold in your emotions." Freya sniffed and chuckled. "Thank you, Loki."

"Of course, my Valkyrie."

Freya turned pink. She always did when he called her "His Valkyrie." But she could see Loki wasn't all there. "What's wrong?" She asked, putting a hand to his face. "Thor--Thor was banished late last night. For reasons I not know." Freya's eyes widened and she gasped quietly. "Not Thor. He's so--"

"I'm sure Odin had his reasons. Come on, let's go down to breakfast."

He changed into his day wear and walked with Freya down to breakfast. Nobody was eating and silent. "What's going on?" Loki asked a warrior friend of his. "Last night," he said, "the Allfather fell into the Odinsleep. We're waiting for the Allmother--" and the Allmother did indeed appear.

She walked up to Loki and asked, "Come with me, please?" He obeyed his mother and walked, without Freya, to her study.

He came out a few moments later, blanched. "What's wrong, Loki?" Freya asked. "Mother has appointed me king." His voice caught in his throat as he finished his sentence. "You're--you're king?" Freya asked. He nodded and took a seat in the head chair. Freya began to sit in her usual seat but Loki cleared his throat. He patted the spot next to him, and immediately, Freya felt a wave of imposter syndrome wash over her.

She poked at her fruits and sausages. Freya had the least appetite and she felt nauseous. She felt Loki's cool hand intertwine with hers. He whispered, "It's okay, my Valkyrie." Her heart beat faster and she ate the tiniest amount of food. Loki sniffed and saw the least she had eaten. "You can't eat a little bit more? You won't feel good later." Freya nodded and forced eggs down her throat. Loki rubbed her back and smiled sadly.

Freya went back to her and Loki's quarters after breakfast and laid down on the bed. She needed a break from everything. Freya took a book off of her bookshelf and began to read. She had been reading for at least a couple hours when she heard someone's throat clear. She looked up and saw it was Loki. "What are you doing here?" Freya asked gently.

"I missed my Valkyrie. I wanted to check on you and make sure you were alright."

Freya managed a smile and said, "Thanks, Loki. That's really sweet of you." He smiled and looked as if he was to do something else, but thought otherwise. "Your Valkyrie, huh?" Freya jested. Loki turned pink and smirked, "Oh hush, Freya. You are my Valkyrie, though I would never treat you as such property that the Valkyrie normally are treated as." Freya blushed and responded, "Thank you."

"Of course, my Valkyrie. How about some lunch?"

"I would love nothing more. Do I still get to sit next to you?"

Loki smiled and replied, "Of course." They walked together down to the feast hall where the food maids were beginning to set out the courses for lunch. Freya took some fine meat and cheeses, along with fresh fruit and juice. Loki took the same, except the juice was swapped with mead.

Loki offered his goblet--"Want to try some?" Freya politely declined, mead didn't bear well with her. Loki nodded and he got some more mead. Freya saw Lysa looking disgusted at her. She faced the floor and swallowed back a lump. "My Valkyrie, are you alright?" Loki asked, attempting to be as formal as possible. Freya nodded and said quickly, "I need to be excused."