chapter twelve

"Hello UA students welcome to the auditions for the first theatrical production of the school year, Anastasia!" Mr. Yagi introduces. "First I will be auditioning those who applied for the role of Anya/Anastasia. Yui Kodai."

...

"Next is Toru Hagakure."

...

"Y/n L/n." Mr. Yagi calls.

"Wish me luck." She says to her friends as she walks up on stage.

"Are you ready?" Mr. Yagi asks and Y/n nods in response. "I'll read the lines that aren't Anya's you reply to them."

"Okay." Y/n responds, "In Odessa, I washed dishes. Before that, I worked in the hospital in Perm." She begins her audition.

"They're a long way from here." Mr. Yagi reads.

"I know. I walked it." Y/n says proudly.

"You walked here all the way from Perm?"

"I had no choice." She scoffs.

"Who are you running from?"

"I'm running to someone," Y/n explains and takes a beat (a pause). "I don't know who they are. But they're waiting for me in Paris." Y/n remarked.

"Okay, next scene." Mr. Yagi instructs.

"I don't want your money." Y/n decides.

"It's your money."

"It's our money. I trusted you." She faltered.

"I said I'm sorry."

"I didn't trust you enough... now close your eyes." She instructs.

"What for?"

"You're the stubbornest person I know." She voices. "Almost as stubborn as me." She smirks.

"Okay, are you ready to sing your song of choice?" Mr. Yagi asks.

"Yes." Y/n waits a few seconds before the music starts playing.

(she sings a minute of the song.)

"Okay thank you. Next up is..."

...

"Now for the Dmitry. First is Neito Monoma."

...

"Yoetsu Awase."

...

"Shoto Todoroki." Mr. Yagi calls.

"Good luck." Y/n whispers and Todoroki nods. He walks up onto the stage.

"Begin." Mr. Yagi instructs.

"Maybe we can help you after all, Anya. It so happens we're going to Paris ourselves." Todoroki smirks. He pauses before reading the next line. "You don't need papers. There's a canal out there. Jump in and start swimming. You'll be in Paris before you know it!" He says exactly how he practiced it with Y/n.

"Okay, I'll read the lines of Anya you respond." Mr. Yagi says. "I'm ready to find out who I am, but I'm not going to lie to do it."

"It won't be a lie. We're going to help you remember the truth." Todoroki explains.

"I wish I had your confidence." 

"If the Dowager Empress recognizes you as her granddaughter, Vlad and I will get a small reward for our efforts and we will all live happily ever after." Todoroki insists.