Chapter 20

Who are you? I try to say back. I'm Amber. Her inner horse. She was a horse shifter. Most horse shifters don't have inner horses but she was different. She was the Amber Horse. She had the Amber Abilities of Healing, Tracking, Pulling and many more. She used the Amber Track to find you, the Amber Heal to heal you while sleeping, the Amber Pull to lift you, and the Amber Heal again to bring you back to life.

How are you alive? I ask her.

When horse shifters with inner horses die the inner horses live on inside the body trying to bring the dead shifter back to life. Only four horses managed to bring the shifter back to life, but they still try.

But- I try to start a sentence but she cuts me off.

Wait, something is happening. I must go, and you must too. I can talk later but not right now. You must find Amaroq and tell him what happened.

What about the wolves?

You have to find a way around. If possible I will try to give you one of her gifts. The Amber Invisibility. She will no longer need them.

I can hear the sadness in her voice even after she leaves. Suddenly a calm, relaxing sensation mixed with warmth and happiness comes inside. It only makes me feel worse. I have only just grasped the idea that she died. And now I am filled with an inner sadness.
I must keep my mind on the goal, I know she would want me to.

You now have the Amber Ability of Invisibility. Use it by imagining you and then you disappearing. I must go.

I don't try to answer. Instead I shift back to a human and imagine myself invisible. My body quickly glows Amber colored like if I was coated in it. Then my body disappears and I can't see myself. I put my hand in front of my face but I don't see it.

I quickly climb down the tree and shift back to horse form. I gallop off to the cave where Amaroq and Kapu are drinking from the stream outside. I imagine myself as not invisible. "Amaroq," I say with a choked voice. I still remember her when I freed her from the barn. She wasn't afraid. She trusted me to get her out. And now she gave her life for mine.

Amaroq looks at me. "I thought you went back to your herd." I shake my head. "We were attacked by the wolves." He looks angry at this. "Show me." I start walking to where I came from. Kapu tries to follow, "Kapu stay here," he says.

Kapu looks sad but he stays and we start running to where she is. Where she died. When we get there Amaroq steps forward. "I thought I told you to never return. I told you what would happen if you did." He looks at me before looking back to the leader. "And now you have threatened my friends."

He looks at me again and makes a motion with his head. I can see he is telling me to run. I do what he says and run back to the cave. I look at Kapu who goes to hide in the cave again when he sees me. "Goodbye Kapu. I hope to see you again."

I go the same direction I came when I tried to get back to the herd. I start off at a trot. I run through my head the events of the last few days, mostly today. I think over many times how she died to save me. I don't even realize at first the tears that are streaming down my face. I stop trotting for a minute just to stop and think of her. How she really is dead. She is DEAD. I tell myself. She died I need to get over it. But it doesn't stop the tears from rolling down my face still. I need to get away from my thoughts. I take a second to get myself together.

And then, I take off. I run, I gallop, as fast as I can to get away from my thoughts, from my memories. Unfortunately galloping doesn't work as well as I thought. The tears are streaming down my face harder than ever.

When I get back to the cave my herd is in, I have controlled myself. Free Spirit has gotten the herd to collect food to bring back to the cave. Lily is the first to notice me. "Eclipse!" She says. She runs to me. I attempt a smile at her. "Where's Wild Heart?" My attempt at a smile drops instantly. I shake my head and don't say anything,