Chapter 46: The Acceptance

*** CHAPTER 46 ***

Swara jolts awake in a cold sweat and glances around trying to pacify her heart beating frantically against its cage of ribs. The pounding in her head worsens as the broad daylight hurts her already stinging eyes. Squeezing her eyes shut, she takes several deep breaths to calm her jittering nerves down. Wiping the sweat droplets off her forehead with the back of her hand, she reaches out for the jug of water usually placed on the bedside table when all the recent events come back to her in full force.

The pain.

The loss.

The agony inflicted upon her heart.

Sanskaar is engaged! He is engaged to Anshika! She is pretty sure for she has seen it with her own eyes.

But that is not possible. She cannot let her first love go down like that, not after coming this far. She has fought against all... against others and against her own self. The grief comes to her in waves, tormenting, maddening, wreaking her entire being. This is not how it is supposed to end. The memory of their love shatters her heart, breaking it into innumerable pieces that leave nothing but an aching hollowness behind. However, with those shattered pieces rises a resolve. A resolve to fight for one last time. It is finally the time to show that their love is not something that holds them down, instead, it gives them the courage to hold each other's hand and leap into the unknown.

Resolute and determined to win her love back, she springs out of her bed and darts out of the room. She can convince them. At least, she can give it a try. Running, she crashes into a table knocking the flower vase down, thereby scraping her knee, but no amount of pain seems to be holding her down. Soon enough, she finds everyone sitting near the open courtyard of the house. Sitting on the chairs all the ladies have been inspecting some clothing samples, whereas at the same time, the men are seen giving instructions regarding the decorations. It is then that Swara looks around and is astounded on finding the house decorated as if it is a bride itself. How come she did not notice it before? Have they started preparing for the marriage already!?

In the very corner of the courtyard, she finds Narmada Devi sitting on her old wooden rocking chair. Closing her eyes, it appears as if she is either taking a quick nap or thinking deeply about something. Glancing around Swara tries to look for Sanskaar. One look at his face... That is all that she needs to muster up all her courage. But to her dismay, she cannot find him anywhere. Taking a deep breath, Swara walks up to Narmada Devi and kneels down in front of her taking both her hands in her hold. She can do it! She will have to... For Sanskaar! For them! For their love!

Sensing the touch and a presence nearby, Narmada Devi opens her rather tired eyes and glances down at Swara.

Narmada: Swara, what are you doing here? You should not be out here. You need rest.

With tears lingering in her eyes, Swara takes a quivering breath before closing her eyes.

Swara: I am sorry, Dadi Ji.

The sudden apology catches Narmada Devi off-guard and she sits up straight.

Narmada: What are you apologizing for? What happened?

Swara: (shaking her head) I cannot do this anymore. I am sorry but I cannot.

By this time, the commotion has everyone's attention and every single member of the family present there gathers around them. Realizing what is about to happen, Ragini and Laksh are by Swara's side the very next moment to make sure that she has someone to support her, to hold her when she actually needs it.

Narmada: What do you mean, Swara? What is it that you cannot do?

Swara: (opens her eyes) I... I cannot let Sanskaar go.