Chapter 49: The fire in our Hearts!

*** CHAPTER 49 ***

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts, and brings peace to our minds."

~ Nicholas Sparks

His whole world comes to a stop as his eyes behold the beauty approaching him slowly, but definitely. Sanskaar is left doubting his ability to breathe when he notices his bride, as dazzling as ever, descend down the aisle. With Ragini's arms around her shoulders, she steps closer to him, and Sanskaar takes a deep shuddering breath. His Swara is gorgeous, he knows it all too well, but today, dressed in that red lehenga, studded and embroidered; her face peeking from behind the translucent veil; she looks breathtaking.

It is at this moment that the realization dawns upon him. This is what he has been fighting for all his life. To finally be able to have a person he can call his own. The struggle, the pain, the tears, all of them have been worth it, for nothing can compare to the preciousness of this very moment. Overwhelmed with happiness, his heart leaps when their eyes finally meet and he notices the corners of her lips rise up in the slightest of smiles. Without even realizing it, a treacherous tear rolls down his cheek and he gulps down the lump forming in his throat. The most serene of all his dreams has finally manifested itself in front of him and is now becoming his destiny, approaching him slowly. Tears after tears follow, and he sniffs to keep his emotions under control, but the overwhelming happiness and contentment in his heart have found a rather strange way of making their presence known. And the most surprising part!? He is not even embarrassed about crying after seeing the love of his life as his bride.

It is those tears that make Swara feel as if she is the luckiest woman alive in this world. With every step she takes toward him, she is reminded over and over again what she means to him. Walking up to him slowly, the first thing she does is place her hand on his cheek and brush those tears away. The love, she has for him, consumes her very being and the anticipation and nervousness keep her skittish all the time as she sits beside him in the mandap. All of this seems too beautiful to be true, but as Purohit ji begins chanting mantras, Swara is ascertained that she is not dreaming.

Amidst excitable nerves, whispering sweet nothings in each other's ears, stealing glances at their beloved, they vow a lifetime of togetherness with the saat phere. Filling her hairline with a pinch of sindoor and tying the holy nuptial beaded thread, the Mangal sutra, around her neck, Sanskaar promises himself to love her with all his heart and to protect her with his life. As he holds her hand under her dupatta, Swara silently vows never to let go again. She has lost her life partner once but this time not even the forces of the entire universe will be able to steal him away from her. She will protect him, no matter what it takes.

"I love you," Sanskaar whispers, still sitting by the holy fire, and a shiver runs down her spine, and as her flabbergasted eyes look up to meet his shining ones, Purohit ji announces them as husband and wife. Sanskaar gives her a smile that makes her heart dance with joy, for she can see how contended he feels.

Shrugging his shoulders, Sanskaar leans closer and whispers in her ear, "Just felt like saying that to my wife!"

Wife!!

The word holds her spellbound as if it is the most enchanting melody to her ears. And then, she smiles too, and so does her heart. She is finally his wife!

Anshika, Tarun, and all their family members decide to leave for Kolkata the very evening as they have an early morning flight to catch. As everyone else bids them adieu, Ragini silently ushers Swara and takes her away. And when Sanskaar turns around taking a deep breath, his newly wedded wife is nowhere to be found.