PROLOGUE

*** PROLOGUE ***

*** PROLOGUE ***

Two gigantic and intricately designed iron gates open up to a driveway that eventually leads to a pristine mansion standing upright in its glory. The driveway surrounded by luscious green lawns on either side ends up at a white marble fountain that has crystal clear water flowing through it continuously. Going around the fountain one can easily have a clear view of the huge beauteous mahogany doors that give way to lavish palatial interiors capable enough of leaving its spectators spellbound. Everything about the mansion screams luxury but not even a single sound could be heard. The pitter-patter of the rainfall against the windowsill tear the monotony of the eerily silent surroundings but even that fails hide the gloominess of the mansion.

On an usual day, one can see a gardener working on the flowers of almost all the color along the hedges of the lawn but since it's raining today, the work has been put on hold and the same goes for the two drivers who are usually seen around the long line of luxurious cars parked neatly at the end of the driveway. The only servant working right now is a middle aged man pouring tea in a cup. He cautiously places the delicate cup on a tray and makes his way to the central hall of the mansion.

Themed in red and golden the central hall is one of its kind. Ornamented with precious gemstones the glass chandelier hangs right above the central table around which a squared sofa set is placed complimenting the surroundings. The right side of the hall leads way to the series of rooms and a fireplace with almost extinguishing fire is on the left side as one enters from the main door. Just opposite of the main door, a flight of stairs lead way to the first and the second floor of the house.

The servant enters and looks at his owner as he attends an important phone call. The owner, Mr. Durgaprasad Maheshwari, is one of the renowned businessmen of Kolkata and is often busy with his dealings. Seeing the servant waiting for a long time the first lady of the house and wife of Mr. Durgaprasad Maheshwari, Mrs. Annapurna Maheshwari takes the cup from his hand and dismisses him. Nodding his head the servants makes his way back to the kitchen as Durgaprasad Maheshwari speaks...

Durgaprasad: Yes Doctor! No panic attacks today. But her condition is becoming worrisome with every passing day. Her panic attacks are also becoming more frequent than earlier. I'm really worried for her. (the doctor gives some instructions) No. No. Okay! I'll make sure not to stress her mind and we'll not force her to remember that incident. Yes!

Durgaprasad keeps talking to the doctor when Annapurna's eyes travel toward the stairs. A spasm of panic hit her as her eyes remain fixated on the lean figure approaching in their direction. Her hands tremble and the cup slips from her hand shattering into pieces as it makes contact with the floor.

Durgaprasad stops his conversation and looks at his wife with a concerned look when his eyes travel in the direction his wife is looking and he sighs audibly in disappointment and frustration.

Durgaprasad: Doctor! I'll talk to you later. Yes! Yes! Don't worry. I'll let you know in case of any emergency.

He disconnects the call and looks towards the stairs as a young lady of around twenty five years of age steps down. Though she looks extremely pale and weak but even that fails to hide the elegance and grace her soul carries. Draped in a red saree with small earrings and red and golden bangles she descends down the stairs but something seems off. Apparently, she is struggling with something as her hands are struck at the back of her neck.

Soon, she comes and stands face to face with Annapurna giving her an apologetic smile.

Annapurna: Swara, what are you doing beta?

Swara: Maa, my mangalsutra is struck in my hair and I'm afraid that if I'll put in some force then it'll get broken.

Durgaprasad takes a deep breath as his jaws grit in anger and helplessness. He curl his fist and stands up from the sofa.

Durgaprasad: But why Swara? You don't need it!

Swara: Why Papa? I'm married to your son. Isn't that obvious that I'll be wearing this mangalsutra and see Maa... I have even put sindoor. He will be so happy after seeing me like this. When will he return from US?

Durgaprasad clenches his fist angrily and mutters something incoherent under his breath before stomping his way out of the hall and into his room.

Swara: (sadly) Did I say something wrong, Maa? Why is Papa angry?

Annapurna: (cups her cheek) No Swara! You're my sweet daughter. How can you do anything wrong?

Swara: But Papa!

Annapurna: It must be some office work. Don't worry about it. Just go and rest in your room and I'll send your breakfast over there. By that time I need to have some important talk with your Papa.

Swara nods her head like an obedient child and turns around on her heels making her way towards her room on the first floor.

As Swara goes out of sight Annapurna storms into her room glaring and throwing daggers at her husband.

Annapurna: What was that in the hall?

Durgaprasad: What?

Annapurna: You know how critical her situation is! You promised to the doctor yourself that you won't do or say an that reminds her of the past forcefully. She needs to remember everything slowly and gradually.

Durgaprasad: And when will that be? It's been six months already. She is the only one who knows what happened that night. It's important for her to remember everything. Most probably, he died in front of her eyes.

Annapurna: My son is not dead!

Annapurna shouts at the top of her voice and Durgaprasad looks at her helplessly. For the last six months he has been trying to find his son with all his might. Several search operations have been conducted around the cliff where they had found Swara in an unconscious state. Everything by now is being done secretly with some trusted police officers as the news of the heir of Maheshwari empire missing will be a golden chance for their opponents to drag them down and Durgaprasad needs to be strong for his family. For everyone, his son has gone to US for some business deal and this includes Swara too. That covers up the situation for sometime but by now several rumors have started rising in the business world and something needs to be done soon before everything set loose.

During the last search operation three months back they found some of his belongings stained with blood in the forest and that finally brought everything to a halt. Durgaprasad was informed that may be his son will never return.

Durgaprasad: Stop convincing yourself Annapurna! A mother knows better than anyone. You can feel that yourself.

Annapurna sniffs loudly trying to prevent her tears from flowing but soon her control gives up as her tears break all the barriers flowing down her cheeks as she slides slowly down to the ground.

Annapurna: I know. But how do I convince my heart that longs for my son! My mind says something but my heart says something else. I don't want to admit it. I won't admit it. I didn't even get to see him for the last time. I want my son back. He was the only thing left for me. I want my 'Sanky' back.

Durgaprasad: (shouts) Stop behaving like that Annapurna! It's high time we admit it that our son is gone. He is dead. Sanky is dead!

She sobs hysterically as Durgaprasad tries to get a hold of his tears when an ear piercing screeching sound gathers their attention. They turn to look at the doorstep where Swara has stumbled against a table few moments ago. She looks at them with fear etched all over her face. Her whole body starts trembling and then becoming stiff like a lifeless object. Durgaprasad and Annapurna get alarmed looking at her. How much of their conversation has she heard? Some incoherent views start flashing right in front of her eyes...

"Hold my hand tightly Sanky! I won't let go of you!"

They run towards her as Swara closes her eyes slowly and darkness engulfs her in its embrace as her cold body falls on the ground with a thump.

---------------------.

A/N

Do leave your feedback and reviews in the comment box below! I hope you all enjoyed reading it.

With love,
Stella ❤️