Chapter 24 : My Husband?

*** CHAPTER 24 ***

"What's wrong?", Swara asks the moment she steps down the staircase observing the terror-stricken faces of everyone and especially of her mother-in-law who seems to be fighting hard to stop her tears.

Swara: Maa, what happened?

Annapurna: That... Th... Acc... Accident...

Annapurna stumbles at her words failing to express her feelings and Swara's heart sinks for all she hears is the word 'accident' and she finds everyone in the hall except for the one she has been waiting for ever since morning. The way he has left after their conversation in the morning has left her entire being in such a chaos that she can't help but think something she doesn't want to.

Swara: Where's Sanky?

Laksh: H-He's on his way back from the office.

Swara: And why is Maa crying?

Annapurna: (tries composing herself) Swara beta, actually... a friend of mine has met with... an accident.

And she breaks into another round of sobs. Her knees wobble and Durga Prasad immediately gets a hold of his wife. It's hardly been five minutes that they received a call from Vidhaan's mobile phone receiving the dreadful news of another accident... yet again of their son.

The last time they received the similar news, Shlok was gone... forever!

But now they can't afford to lose their second son. The news itself has left them shattered and letting Swara know of the same will only worsen the situation even more.

Swara: So, are you all going to the hospital?

She asks looking at Annapurna, Durga Prasad, Laksh and Ram standing at the doorstep, and all of them nod their heads instantly. Noticing that Swara seems a bit skeptical about the whole situation, Laksh clears his throat before speaking.

Laksh: Um... Swara... Bade Papa and Badi Maa are going to the hospital. Papa and I are going to the office.

Swara: At this time?

Laksh: There is an urgent meeting tomorrow. Can we have the rest of the questions later? We are getting late.

Swara: (nods her head) Shall I also come, Maa?

One question and that makes everyone shout a 'NO' together!

Laksh: Ragini, can you look after Swara for the time being?

Ragini nods her head and Swara scrunches her eyebrows.

Swara: I'm not a kid! Why would she look after me?

Laksh: Shut up, Swara! You're staying here with Ragini and that's final. No more arguments!

And with that being said everyone leaves for the hospital without any other word, leaving an extremely shocked Swara behind. This is the first time that her best friend has shouted on her in such a way and she can't help but feel that something seems off about everyone tonight. Are they hiding something from her?! She isn't too sure but something inside of her tells her that... they are!

Ragini: Swara, why don't you go to your room for now? I'll bring your dinner there itself.

Swara: It's okay, Ragini. I'll sit here only.

Ragini nods her head silently and Swara takes a deep breath before taking a seat on the couch kept in the centre of the hall getting immersed deep in her thoughts.

Time and again, her mind travels back to their conversations and the bizarre beating of her heart makes her realize that this is not where she is supposed to be, that just by sitting here, she is missing something really important in her life. The urge to see the man she loves has never been so strong as it is right now. And she's determined to see him no matter what it takes!