Chapter Twenty-Seven

(Sam's POV)

I hadn't been able to sleep once Lucy had tiptoed out of the room, taking all her warmth with her and leaving me to wish that I had hit the pavement with them.

Rather than battling sleep, I gave up trying and shuffled to the kitchen. I was hitting the brew button when the shine of headlights pulling into the driveway drew my eye. I opened up the front door to see Lee getting out of Lucy's jeep.

"Morning Sam. Please tell me you have coffee." I gave him a slap on the back as he came inside and walked towards the kitchen with him on my heels, asking, "Lucy still asleep?"

I pulled down four mugs and set them in front of the machine before stealing the first droppings for Lee's mug. "Her and Tash met up early for a run. I'd imagine they'll be back soon."

Lee took a sip, squeezing his eyes closed and smiling into his mug. "Thanks."

I nodded, understanding what that first sip could do for a coffee lover and anxiously waiting for my own drippings. "You may as well wait till Lucy and Tash get here to update us on how it went with Travis but how's it going otherwise?"

He hid behind his cup and I could see the indecision written all over his face. I laughed and reassured him. "It's okay man. I know where I come from."

The grin he flashed was relieved. "I've been to a lot of precincts, in a lot of districts and I can honestly say that Lake Ridge is one of the worst."

I buried the twinge of shame that tweaked. "I wouldn't expect anything else." It was true, I had started my career in Fenelon, never going round the block, the way that the task force did, but everything that we had been experiencing here gave the impression of a force that was ass backwards.

It was as if my acknowledgement allowed him to unleash all his frustrations. "Right? It's like they are proud of their ineptitude. The townspeople did more with the search than the police officers." He took a big sip and then shook his head. "No, that's not fair, compared to those at the top. There are a couple of uniforms that are working hard, but it's obvious that they haven't moved up the ladder because good police and good fucking police work isn't valued here."

I could tell how frustrated he was by how fast the words flowed out of his mouth. Our conversation was interrupted by the sound of Tash and Lucy on the front porch. I felt the familiar ping of excitement that came with being in Lucy's vicinity. It vanished as soon as I saw her though, replaced with an anger the likes of which I hadn't ever experienced. "What the fuck happened to you two?"

She looked like she had been through the ringer. It was Tash that spoke and my eyes, always magnets for Lucy, made their way to my friend. "Our run was extra exciting today."

My jaw dropped as I realised that if Lucy looked a little battered, Tash was sliced up. She quickly walked towards the sink, rinsing her hand under water and Lucy grabbed a tea towel. "Will anyone mind if I use this?" I shook my head, unable to find words.

I'd let them go by themselves.

Once Tash was putting pressure on the wound. Lucy walked over to the two empty mugs that I had left out and poured. I ignored the second little ping to my heart, at how comfortable she was here in my space and again asked, "What the fuck happened to you two?"

Tash's smirk served to fire me up even more. It took alot to make me mad but these two had been out for a run, why were they so battered.

And why the fuck was no one answering me?

Lucy gave me a worried look and spoke in a soft tone, obviously worried that I was showing shades of psychosis. "We were attacked by two men this morning."