Chapter Thirty-Five

(Josie's POV)

The large golden clock on the steeple in front of us indicated that it was only three-o-clock in the afternoon. Exhaustion pulled at my shoulders and I tried to focus on the feel of Sam's hand cradling mine, on the way the sun was heating my hair, the promise of a rest in my future.

That was the thing about policing, there were some days that refused to quit.

Sam's fingers squeezed mine knowingly as we got to the front steps before letting go and letting me climb ahead of him, I looked back when we got to the top and threw me a wink. My cheeks warmed at the admiration in his gaze. .

The front doors were the same gold as the steeple and surrounded by the white building made the whole place seem all the more ethereal. I had never seen one of their churches before but wondered if they always looked so otherworldly.

An older gentleman in what had to be a tailored suit, held the door for us. He looked familiar but I wondered if it was just that he was classically handsome. The sharp lines of his face gave off movie star vibes. Crossroads was known to pull in celebrities so it wouldn't be shocking. Either way I couldn't place him and he hustled past and down the stairs as we moved inside.

Sam moved close and I caught the now familiar and completely seductive hints of evergreen as he whispered in my ear, "Warren Cross". Of course, the head of Crossroads.

I leaned closer whispering back to Sam as we made our way to the woman behind the desk at reception, "I wouldn't expect him to make many appearances here."

Sam inclined his head in agreement and then flashed a beaming smile at the lady behind the desk. Her name tag read, "Marian" and it was apparent that she took one look at Sam and was smitten, patting down her gray hair and batting her lashes. He made a point of reading her name tag, "Good afternoon, Marian. How are you today?"

Her cheeks became rosy and she gave a little giggle. My butterflies felt vindicated.

Same, Marian. Same.

"We were hoping that Mel was free to chat to us this afternoon." I loved that he was experienced enough to not share anything about why we were here or who we were. Chances of Marian assuming that we were interested in becoming a part of the community was high, which sadly would do a better job of getting us in front of Mel than the truth.

She looked down at the calendar she had in front of her and looked up, "He doesn't have much time today." Sam gave another big smile, "We don't really need much of his time. Maybe you could give us a tour after?" I reached out and reconnected our hands, squeezing and letting him know that I thought he was playing this perfectly, poor Marian.

"Let me see what I can do for you." His winning smile made her blush deepen and we stepped away from the desk to give her some space.

I moved closer to him, brushing my lips over his ear as I whispered, "So charming, Sam Taylor."

I could sense his embarrassment but he tossed me a wink and murmured, "Don't act so surprised, Luce."

I stayed close, breathing in that delicious scent for another moment, "Not surprised at all. I've always been charmed by you, Sam." Then I took a step back, and we stared at each other with ridiculous smiles on our faces until we were interrupted by a throat clearing.

Focus, Lucy.

Romantic thoughts pushed aside, I turned in time to catch the annoyance of Minister Mel. "Thank you for taking the time to see us, sir. My name is Lucy Baylor and I think you already know Sam Taylor." I grimaced at the rhyme of our names but soldiered on, "We were hoping to chat with you."